Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » THE TWEAKER?
Re: TWEAKER CIRCUIT DIAGRAM [message #11088 is a reply to message #11086] Tue, 17 May 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Howard is currently offline  Howard
Baron

Dear Colin,

I am pleased you like the content of my old site. I am sure a lot of it will reappear as time goes bye.

Here is the Tweaker circuit. Earle was happy for me to publish it. It is being revised all the time. My mono amps will have some changes to the one shown here. I have only shown one power amp channel to help cut down on image size.

Valve sockets arrived today so one step closer to starting.

Howard

Re: TWEAKER CIRCUIT DIAGRAM [message #11090 is a reply to message #11088] Tue, 17 May 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Howard, Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. This is a very interesting amp. Could you please re-post schematic in the Group Build forum. I think there are a few of us out there that might consider building this. Please keep us posted on your progress......Colin

Re: TWEAKER Construction page [message #11091 is a reply to message #11090] Fri, 20 May 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Howard is currently offline  Howard
Baron
Dear Colin + other SE fans

I have started a page for this project. I have my card model plus Earles pictures of the original being built

Have a good weekend

Howard

Re: THE TWEAKER [message #11149 is a reply to message #11066] Tue, 05 July 2005 03:47 Go to previous message
Earle is currently offline  Earle
Esquire
Hi Howard. Hope your amps are coming along well.
I lashed out and bought myself a HP8903a audio analyzer. Best money I have ever spent. Some test results from my own Tweaker Mk4 are as follows;
KT88 in triode mode, @1 watt with 1k 0db ref. -3db 15hz to 37khz. -6db 11hz to 57khz. Distortion @ 1watt 0.29% (4.7% at 1/2 pwr) Maximum output 10watts. Hum level 1mv. Signal to noise 103db hum removed.

KT88 in Ultralinear mode -3db 22hz to 45khz. -6db 15hz to 67khz.
Maximum power 16 watts. Hum 1.2mv. S/N 102db hum removed.

The signal to noise is very dependent upon driver valve choice. The best result was from a NOS Sylvania Angle plate 6sn7. A Chinese no name 6sn7 returned similar S/N but frequency was down -3db at 13khz.
One of my favorite valves, a Sylvania 6SL7WGT was quite noisy with a S/N of 67db, go figure.

EL34 triode mode -3db 15hz to 41khz and -6db 11.5hz to 62khz.
EL34 UL mode -3db 23hz to 52khz and -6db 16hz to 76khz.

The installed valves were Valve Art 5AR4, Sylvania 6SN7 angle plate and new Valve art outputs.

I've been working on a (shock horror) push-pull amp. The transformers I have wound using the same technique I developed for the SE iron. They test very impressive out of circuit. -3db 7hz to 58khz. In circuit they should perform similar as the bias current is self cancelled. The top end may go a bit higher due to the ul taps.

The attenuator xformers are coming along as well. I'm happy with the test results and will now work with taps. I plan to have only 12 taps with a +3db boost tap to add a bit of gain to a passive pre.
Cheers. Earle.

Previous Topic: Audio Note Kit One cheesecake foto:
Next Topic: My latest is always the greatest
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:18:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers