Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » ASL AQ1006 845 DT SET Amp
ASL AQ1006 845 DT SET Amp [message #11072] Wed, 20 April 2005 14:24 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Does anyone have a schematic for the original version of this amp.

Found It [message #11073 is a reply to message #11072] Fri, 22 April 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
ASL has photos, specs and schematics of their products at the link below.

They're Here! [message #11076 is a reply to message #11072] Tue, 26 April 2005 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Someone brought a pair of these to the Bottlehead meeting and I heard them driving the Fredarrays. Had to have a pair of my own, and what do you know, someone had a pair of Audiogon. Life is good.

Re: They're Here! [message #11077 is a reply to message #11076] Wed, 27 April 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those look awesome! Hope you bring 'em to GPAF so I can check them out!

Re: They're Here! [message #11079 is a reply to message #11076] Sun, 08 May 2005 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance A. is currently offline  Lance A.
Esquire
FredT,

You may have purchased my original amplifiers. I sold them to someone through Audiogon and noticed that he sold them several months later. If they were mine, they will have Teflon coupling caps in the first position and white teflon tape wrapped solid silver input cables (12" long each) under the bottom cover. Also all 6sn7's except the ones in the rectifier position will be NOS. I replaced the ASL AQ 1006 DT's with a pair of Wavelength Audio PF Gemini's with 45 outputs. I greatly regret selling my 1006's. They offered such an open, full, and liquid sound that I really miss. They were the only amplifiers that really sucked me into the music consistently.

Lance A.

Re: They're Here! [message #11080 is a reply to message #11079] Sun, 08 May 2005 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No such luck. The first set of coupling caps are Multicap PPMFX metallized poly (better than Solens, but not great) and the second set are Bennics (even less not great:). The 6SN7's are mostly Sovteks. Holm audio, whom I bought them from, had another pair with upgraded tubes, but they were a bit more expensive and I planned to retube anyway. The other pair may have been yours. These amps definitely are keepers and I've asked a local SET amp builder audiomirror.com about upgrading some of the internal parts.

Re: They're Here! [message #11081 is a reply to message #11080] Thu, 12 May 2005 07:44 Go to previous message
Lance A. is currently offline  Lance A.
Esquire
Fred,

These are easy and fun amps to upgrade by yourself. And, the designer of the ASL amplifiers ,Joseph Lau, is a great guy who even told me how to acquire a bit more gain from my ASL's because I use a passive preamp directly between the amps and my source. Fred, Run don't walk and purchase two very good NOS 6SN7's to replace the first (toward the front of the amps) of the three 6SN7's in each amplifier. The difference is HUGE! I replaced all other 6SN7's with vintage NOS as well but never came close to the sonic upgrade derived from replacing that first tube. I'm confident (fairly)that the use of Teflon coupling caps and expensive solid silver input cables also made a positive upgrade in my amps ,but, not close to that from replacing one 6SN7 with a very good NOS one. As said before, I replaced my AQ1006 DT's with a pair of Wavelength PF Gemini amplifiers which are fitted with 45's and offer yet more detail but the ASL amps had a bloom and a nostagic glow that I truely miss.

Lance A.

Previous Topic: Decware SE34-I
Next Topic: High Power Output SET
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:56:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers