Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » homebrew
homebrew [message #10736] Wed, 29 September 2004 21:33 Go to next message
hollister is currently offline  hollister
Esquire
whose building homebrews here? im kinda looking for ideas on whats kickin.

Re: homebrew [message #10737 is a reply to message #10736] Thu, 30 September 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Mr Hollister; are you focused on SET or does Push Pull enter the picture, because I am accumulating parts for the first scratch built amp and could certainly use outside opinions. I have pruchased transformers and tubes,sockets and some passive parts for a nice KT-88 project. Right now I am trying to decide whether to go with a cathode loaded circuit. The trannies are nice custom wound jobs.

Re: homebrew [message #10738 is a reply to message #10737] Thu, 30 September 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
So John, are you designing yours from scratch?

Re: homebrew [message #10739 is a reply to message #10738] Thu, 30 September 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Actually I am looking at the VTV amp. That amp employs some of the components I like, such as oil filled coupling caps etc. It is a modified williamson circuit and thats good but the schematic is written for monoblocks and I would like to build it stereo since I have the power trans for that. So this is a learning process for me and all opinions are welcome. Right now I am looking at chassis. Yeager has a nice enameled aluminum adjustable blank chassis, could also go with Welbourne's aluminum wood kit chassis. Thanks for your interest, J.R.

Re: homebrew [message #10740 is a reply to message #10739] Thu, 30 September 2004 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi John,

Which VTV amp? I probably should know - You've probably mentioned it. But refresh my memory. Is it one of the circuits in a back issue of Vacuum Tube Valley magazine?

Speaking of, I wonder where Eric has gotten off to.

Wayne

Re: homebrew [message #10741 is a reply to message #10739] Fri, 01 October 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Cool. That's the same design Eric recommended to me when I was looking for an amp with "balls". Keep us up to date on this.

thanks,
Gar.

Re: homebrew [message #10742 is a reply to message #10739] Mon, 04 October 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No problem, manualblock. I did the same when I built my KT 88 amp.
It was the rosenblitz design intended for mono blocks. Just configure it with a single power x-former with twice the milliamperage ( is that a word?), and make it dual channel, (two sets of rectifiers, etc) after the x-former. The only difference is how the transformer hooks to the rest of it I put the power supply in a separate chassis. In the amp chassis, it is true dual mono..you could saw this in half with a hacksaw and it would be mono block. If I had it to do over, I would seriously consider building it all on one chassis for simplicity. the amp is on a 17x15 and the power supply on a 10x17. If you are building the VTV amp, are you using the plitron Iron? Even the coils are quite pricey. I thought of building it using the plitron outputs, but cheaping out on the coils and maybe the power trans.

Hope this helps
Russellc

Hope this helps,
Russellc

Re: homebrew [message #10778 is a reply to message #10737] Mon, 01 November 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Manualblock,

If my memeory seves me correcty, I believe that this is basically the same circuit as the VTV KT-88 amplifier, it has been a while since I have seeen it, my memeory is short.

Would you please guide me to the VTV schematic on line if possible, so I can compare the two circuits?

I have a pair of the Allen amplifiers and want to see if the VTV circuit would give me any pointers in upgrading what I have.

Thanks

Norris Wilson

Re: homebrew [message #10875 is a reply to message #10736] Wed, 15 December 2004 22:36 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hollister, Check out latest thread on ART's SET forum for a group build. A couple of us having been kicking around the idea of building a tube preamp. Would love to see you there.....Colin Hester

Previous Topic: Glossary
Next Topic: picking one amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:01:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout