Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Thoughts on Parallel SE
Thoughts on Parallel SE [message #10756] Tue, 12 October 2004 19:56 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wondering if anyone has any experience or comments on amps built on a parallel single ended configuration? For example, two 300B SE in parallel. Does retain all the sound of a single SE but at twice the power, or is there compromises?

Gar.

Re: Thoughts on Parallel SE [message #10757 is a reply to message #10756] Wed, 13 October 2004 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
diyid is currently offline  diyid
Esquire
Parallel SE tubes give twice the power so it needs twice the PS and twice the output transformer.

Re: Thoughts on Parallel SE, "chorus effect" [message #10759 is a reply to message #10756] Wed, 13 October 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TC is currently offline  TC
Baron
Chorus effect. Some speakers will reveal this sonic attribute of parralel SE amps. I listened to a pair of 845 parralell monos over the weekend, the large ads monitors masked the effect well, as well as some detail. Very dynamic. Horns and high eff will reveal a halo effect that's sometimes problematic with these designs sounding sometimes like digititus. If you need gobs of power it can work well.

TC

Re: Thoughts on Parallel SE, "chorus effect" [message #10760 is a reply to message #10759] Thu, 14 October 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
So I take it that in building one of these designs, I'd have to be very careful to match components in the signal path and ensure its chassis placement is as identical as possible.

Re: Thoughts on Parallel SE, "chorus effect" [message #10761 is a reply to message #10760] Thu, 14 October 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
There may be topologies that mask this effect, a bit. When two tubes are run paralell I doubt you can eliminate the natural effect of the two "fighting each other" so to speak. IMHO if yo want more power you should design it in using a single tube. Or go PP. Use a transmitter for big guns.

TC

RMAF [message #10765 is a reply to message #10761] Fri, 15 October 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sorry to derail the thread, but how was RMAF?

I really enjoyed MAF last year, so I'll bet you had a great time at RMAF. I enjoy all the good friends, music, food and fun. I like visiting with everyone the best, I think, but the collections of so much wonderful sound gear is what it's all about, naturally. There's lot of great stuff to see and hear, so it's a great place for people to audition products.

Re: RMAF [message #10766 is a reply to message #10765] Fri, 15 October 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
RMAF was a pretty darn good show. I think nearly every room had analog and what I consider quite good sound. Best venue for acoustics I have seen yet. Wide variety of equipment, fairly good attendance.

Only complaint is Denvers neo macho aggressive traffic combined with road construction debris and superficial speed limits (65 posted, actual 85-90). In 4 days I experienced 1-road rage incident and 3 near miss colisions that all could have been avoided entirely if speed limits were acknowledged.

TC

Re: RMAF [message #10767 is a reply to message #10766] Fri, 15 October 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds like a good time had by all, except on the roads.

I share your opinion about the quality of presentations. At MAF, I was impressed that just about every system was very good, and that a person would have been happy owning any of them. There wasn't a big disparity in the quality levels, sort of everything was 9's and 10's. Of course, you don't have the best acoustics in the rooms sometimes, but I don't expect that. Even so, you can still enjoy the systems and the company of the people that bring them.

Re: Thoughts on Parallel SE, "chorus effect" [message #10785 is a reply to message #10761] Sat, 06 November 2004 20:57 Go to previous message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
I appreciate the theory behind that idea, and it may take place in some instances in a detrimental way, but having spent a lot of time listening to Audio Note Conquests, Kegons, Neiros and Kagekis, all of which have parallel pairs of 300B's and 2A3's respectively, I haven't ever been aware of any chorus, masking or fighting going on.

YMMV.

Previous Topic: Gift Kits
Next Topic: C ES Vintage Show
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:36:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers