Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » ping gumby1
ping gumby1 [message #10668] Fri, 13 August 2004 14:40 Go to next message
pokey1 is currently offline  pokey1
Chancellor
Hey gumby1 I'm trying to get a handle on your tastes. You have made reference to Welborne, Bottlehead, Dynaco and Carver. I'm guessing you've had all of them at one time or another. Please tell me more about your experiences with these companies and products.

Re: ping gumby1 [message #10673 is a reply to message #10668] Tue, 17 August 2004 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
I have two systems in two different rooms at my house. My vacuum tube system consists of a Dynaco ST-70 amp with the Audio by Van Alstine modification and I have a nicely upgraded Bottlehead Foreplay preamp. I use Two Pi Tower speakers with this system. I consider this system to be an outstanding value in vacuum tube music systems. The performance to dollar ratio is excellent. It sounds better than the recent new Onkyo receiver I purchased. I expect to sell my vacuum tube system within the next couple of months because I decided to build some solid state equipment.
Service with Bottlehead is O.K., but slow. Van Alstine has some of the best customer service I have ever experienced. I purchased the Carver equipment from a retailer so I never dealt directly with Carver.
My current solid state system consists of a Carver TFM-35X amp with Carver CT-3 preamp. I use Boston Acoustics T-1000 speakers with my solid state system. I also have a Carver "The Receiver" in storage. I'll probably be selling it soon as well since I've gone the "seperates" route these days.
My Carver equipment has always been great. The tuner in "The Receiver" pulls stations better than any tuner I have ever experienced.
As far as Welborne Labs is concerned, I used to visit their web site regularly and considered purchasing one of their battery powered preamps, but I didn't care for the way Ron Welborne treated one of his customers so I no longer consider his products. I have nothing against his products, but choose not to do business with him.

Re: ping gumby1 [message #10674 is a reply to message #10673] Wed, 18 August 2004 14:00 Go to previous message
pokey1 is currently offline  pokey1
Chancellor
Thanks for your candid answer. I can see where you're coming from now.

Previous Topic: Damper diodes
Next Topic: Chinese audio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:32:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout