Home » Audio » General » Adding to the system!
Adding to the system! [message #1050] Sun, 31 October 2004 12:05 Go to next message
Bob Soden is currently offline  Bob Soden
Chancellor
Hey Wayne,

Ok, so you have lit a spark in me, and now I have been busy. I am getting a new turntable, and wanted your opinion on it.

VPI Hw-19 with and Audio Quest PT-9, Your opinion and help will be needed!

Perhaps we could put it together at our club meeting?
And I should have the 2 evm 12s also.

Bob

Re: Adding to the system! [message #1051 is a reply to message #1050] Sun, 31 October 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Should be great! I'd be happy to help you set it up at the club meeting or before. You might want to get a copy of a test record like shown in this post. You might also mention your purchase on the Turntable forum and see what kind of feedback you get. Maybe some helpul hints to get the most out of it or things to watch out for, stuff like that.

Re: Adding to the system! [message #1052 is a reply to message #1050] Sun, 31 October 2004 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say Bob, is that the HW 19 jr? or the type 3/4? The table is really simple to set-up if it is the Jr. There are no support springs to level or adjustments to the table itself. Just make sure the bearing well has the proper amount of oil before you lower the spindle down into the well. (I have seen that mistake; guilty as charged). Keep the table on a level platform or whatever you sit it on. The arm is very good. It likes a higher mass cartridge such as Audio Technica or Denon. Is the arm mounted?

Re: Adding to the system! [message #1055 is a reply to message #1052] Sun, 31 October 2004 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Manual? I hope that is you name... No I have made these purchases so far,
the VPI HW-19 JR
Audio QUest PT9 Arm
Grado Reference platinum
Probably could get a better cartridge, but do no know which to get, so I have ordered this one, do you think it is a good choice?

Sounds like you are experienced, so may I ask a question , is the VPI already drilled for the Arm? IN the pic it appears so, and the arm apppears to be coming with its own table as well.
Yes, and I can use all the help I can get, I would appreaciate your help.

bob

Re: Adding to the system! [message #1057 is a reply to message #1055] Mon, 01 November 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Bob; My name is John. How did you purchase the table, was it brand new or second hand? I am somewhat confused by your statement that the arm appears to have it's own table. Do you mean it has an arm board attached? The armboard is a small piece of acrylic that holds the arm and then mounts to the table. The PT arm is a common combination with the VPI so unless you have bought an armboard that has not yet been drilled out, then yes it probably is set-up for the PT arm. Should you have a blank arm board I am sure Harry at VPI will exchange it for a pre-drilled board.
The grado cartride works well with the PT arm, I personally would keep it.
If the table is used; I would spring for a new belt. Other than that, there is not much to setting up the Jr. Just make sure the table is sitting on a firm platform, one that does not jiggle around because the table is sensitive to vibration.
Let us know about the status of the armboard and good luck.
Have you ever mounted a cartridge? Or is it already on the arm.

Re: Adding to the system! [message #1058 is a reply to message #1055] Mon, 01 November 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bob,

Sounds like we almost have the same system. I'm running an HW-Jr too with a PT arm and a Grado Gold cart. I don't have the PT9, but one of the lower models. There are better systems on the market, but this will get you 95% of the way at a fraction of the cost. What are you using for phono stage? I've found that this part of the system to be just as important as the TT, arm and cart. Probably even more important than the pre-amp.

Gar.

Re: Adding to the system! [message #1059 is a reply to message #1052] Mon, 01 November 2004 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Today I found out the VPI comes predrilled for the arm, so I feel much better, I ordered it a few days ago. I am going to use the grado platinum, until I find something better, so if you guys have any suggestions I will appreciate it. So, to answer your question, John, yes it is new, I don't get used stuff anymore, even on E-bay it seems so tiring to loose out on something you set your mind to.
And Gar. I am pleased that someone eles has a sytem that I will be similar to, and of course pleased that I have chosen some decent additions. I have a lot of 45s I have not listened to in years, and a new record cleaner to try out.

Her are either of you guys, John, Gar, coming to the meeting?

Re: Adding to the system! [message #1060 is a reply to message #1051] Mon, 01 November 2004 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne, I orderd the test record, and also a nitty gritty record cleaning machine, but think I should have some new sleeves to put the records in once cleaned, do you think?
oh, yes the new 12" evs on on their way, EVDL12x I have all the specs so we can do what we want to the box, and also we should consider the new crossovers.
Let me know
Bob

Re: Adding to the system! [message #1061 is a reply to message #1060] Mon, 01 November 2004 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds great!

I wouldn't get new sleeves because I don't think that will do you much good. Best to clean the records before use each time.

As for the EV's, I'll be happy to give you a hand. I already ran the numbers on that box and realized that your cabinet is so oversized it should be run sealed and will act as an infinite baffle. It seems like it was so large that even an EBS alignment would be too far - The shelf would be too far down. But we'll look at it again to confirm. The crossover point and slope will be determined by the drivers you choose to run above them.

Wayne

Re: Adding to the system! [message #1062 is a reply to message #1061] Mon, 01 November 2004 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
ok, I will did out the info on the other drivers, hope I can find it, will let you know when the evs get here.

thanks

Previous Topic: Sherri; Whats the scoop betty boop?
Next Topic: Halloween
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 22:27:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout