Home » Audio » General » New music room in a few easy steps
New music room in a few easy steps [message #4461] Tue, 24 July 2007 23:28 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Step 1: Dig big hole

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Step 2: Cut foundation wall

Step 3: Knock out foundation section

Step 4: Pour footers

More tomorrow.....C

Re: New music room in a few easy steps [message #4462 is a reply to message #4461] Wed, 25 July 2007 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! That's awesome!

Did it get filled with rain the other day? Or did it not rain too bad?

Re: New music room in a few easy steps [message #4463 is a reply to message #4462] Wed, 25 July 2007 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Great Colin!

Now you can fit "larger" speaker cabinets in your basement!

LOL!

If the wife sees this post she will be waiting for me at the door with a shotgun in hand!

LOL!

Ron

Re: New music room in a few easy steps [message #4464 is a reply to message #4462] Wed, 25 July 2007 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
THe rain stayed about 50 miles north of us. I was up most of the night watching the system drop down from Chicago, and it was nothin' but red. Some places just north of us got 4+ inches! I'm not sure what I would have done if water came in. I know my albums would have been the first thing I saved

"False wall" bass trap panels for concrete walls [message #4465 is a reply to message #4464] Wed, 25 July 2007 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Many homes have rooms with framed drywall construction. The flexibility of framed drywall with insulation behind it actually helps to damp room modes. The walls move and absorb some energy, providing a great deal of damping.

But having concrete walls, you might need to add some large dampers.

Some people use round tubes filled with absorbent stuffing, but I prefer panels. They're simple, really, basically adding framed walls inside your concrete walls. You'll make a sort of a false wall spaced several inches out and fill it with insulation. You don't want the panels to be braced, you want them to vibrate. Their size determines their resonance, which in turn determines the frequency they'll damp the most. Their effectiveness is also a function of their position, because you want them to be placed on nodes. That's where they'll damp the most. Then again, for aesthetics, it might be best to make a false wall span the entire length of each wall with panels sized to damp the frequencies that are most troublesome. You can find your room modes by measurement or with a program like CARA.

Re: Find Jimmy Hoffa? [message #4466 is a reply to message #4461] Thu, 26 July 2007 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm amazed the town let you do that on the side and not the back.

Be sure and put a ramp next to the stairs so the IRS Beta's can just slide down.

See, AnneMarie, it could be worse!

Re: Find Jimmy Hoffa? [message #4467 is a reply to message #4466] Thu, 26 July 2007 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I did tell the guys if they found any Indian artifacts that they were to just stick them in their pocket.

The township was cool about everyting. The plans sailed through in 12 hours. Still haven't heard from the HOA, but I guess they'll just have to live with it....

Re: "False wall" bass trap panels for concrete walls [message #4468 is a reply to message #4465] Fri, 27 July 2007 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What about if he want's to use it as natural reverb chamber when he sings?

That's what the shower's for! (nt) [message #4469 is a reply to message #4468] Fri, 27 July 2007 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Re: "False wall" bass trap panels for concrete walls [message #4470 is a reply to message #4465] Fri, 27 July 2007 12:38 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I have a copy of CARA somewhere. THe basement is going to be very open floor plan. THe HT / music "room" will be centered in the basement, with 2 stud walls and the other two sides open. I'll try to post a floor plan, if I can find some good (free) software......C

Previous Topic: new Vintage Technology magazine
Next Topic: Stax discussion anyone?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:53:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout