Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Marshall JCM900 SL-X 100watt
Marshall JCM900 SL-X 100watt [message #27288] Wed, 21 June 2006 18:32 Go to next message
DeWeese is currently offline  DeWeese
Esquire
Alright, I love this amp to death, but ironically, it's dying on me.

I've had it for about a year now, and it's been going great. Never had as much gain as I thought, but I believe my tubes sucked, but I'm getting all eight replaced.

Recently at band practice (thank God not while gigging) my amp would suddenly just fade out till no sound came out in the course of about five seconds. It would then be silent for about a half a minute, then fade back in. At first I thought it was the sign of tube failure, but I've consulted amp techs and they believe it is a problem with the internal circuitry of my amp. They suppose it could be something with the power converting process, something is overheating or is thrown out of wack, most possibly the cause of a loose solder connection or something.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help, because I have searched inside the chassis of the amp, and I can't see any broken connections. Is there something I'm just not seeing, am I looking for the wrong tell-tale signs, or could it be a whole problem altogether. I'm a DIY guy and have had a lot of experience around circuitry, and short on cash, so I would like to make sure I can save my money before definitely dishing out to get something fixed I can't myself.

Thanks a bunch, I could really use the help.

Re: Marshall JCM900 SL-X 100watt [message #27314 is a reply to message #27288] Thu, 27 July 2006 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim is currently offline  Tim
Esquire
I have a JCM900 4101 combo that is doing the same thing. Please let me know if you figure it out. I have been fighting mine for about 4 months now and I am about to give up and buy something new.

Re: Marshall JCM900 SL-X 100watt [message #27336 is a reply to message #27288] Thu, 21 September 2006 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
al is currently offline  al
Esquire
I'd check the rectifier/rectifier cirquit.

Re: Marshall JCM900 SL-X 100watt [message #27481 is a reply to message #27314] Tue, 25 September 2007 15:01 Go to previous message
Keith is currently offline  Keith
Esquire
bridge recto, replace it with a higher value and the amp will last forever

Previous Topic: Peavey Artist VT Series
Next Topic: Modding a console amp for guitar use
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:34:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio