Home » Audio » Source » Best way to store vinyl?
Best way to store vinyl? [message #87913] Tue, 01 May 2018 09:58 Go to next message
audiophil2 is currently offline  audiophil2
Chancellor
Just wondering what is the best way to store vinyl? Is it better to store it standing upright or better to lay them flat? Might be overthinking but standing upright might lead to warping while laying them flat prevents it?
Re: Best way to store vinyl? [message #87953 is a reply to message #87913] Mon, 07 May 2018 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soundcheck12 is currently offline  Soundcheck12
Chancellor
Not sure it really matters. I have my collection standing upright. Always have because it makes it easier to flip through my records and find what I want. Laying them flat probably does prevent warping but seems like it would be harder to look through the collection.
Re: Best way to store vinyl? [message #88002 is a reply to message #87953] Thu, 10 May 2018 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Absolutely standing upright, but arranged with some sort of support so they don't tilt. At room temperature and to protect the jackets use clear plastic sleeves. Inside the jackets I like to use MoFi liners. Not expensive and they keep the vinyl protected. I'm not a huge collector but I figure I have around 500 lps. Six turntables and lots of other gear. Most well kept LPs last forever if played on good gear. I have many that are the original pressings from as much as 50 years ago. They play fine. Something not asked was about cleaning them. There are many ways as low cost as a "Spin Clean" (under $100) to mega dollars. I use a diy ultrasonic cleaner. Grunge in the grooves is one of the major causes of poor sound. An anti static dust brush is indispensable as well. Dust the LP just before playing to reduce (but unfortunately not eliminate) groove dust. Lots of other thing you can do as well and if you are getting serious you should visit the vinylengine.com forums.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Best way to store vinyl? [message #88068 is a reply to message #87913] Wed, 23 May 2018 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Humphries is currently offline  Humphries
Chancellor
Does that mean there's a downside to storing them horizontally? Does it increase their chance of warping or something? How big of a difference does it make? I have my eye on some records at an estate sale. The picture shows them stacked in a box and it looks like they've been there for quite some time.
Re: Best way to store vinyl? [message #88080 is a reply to message #88068] Sat, 26 May 2018 13:51 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It can cause warps, but also if any foreign material is inside the jacket it can grind it into the grooves and cause damage. On end the stuff will tend to fall to the bottom edge of the jacket and be largely harmless.

For LPs at estate sales ...if they are cheap enough then it is often worth the chance. I get lots of them at second hand stores and most are in pretty good to near mint condition. A quick pass through the cleaner and nearly all play well.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: How do you store your digital music?
Next Topic: Amazon vs iTunes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:47:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout