Home » xyzzy » Tower » Teachers and guns
Teachers and guns [message #87317] Thu, 01 March 2018 13:40 Go to next message
Leonardo is currently offline  Leonardo
Chancellor
I just responded to another post about how people shouldn't own rifles or assault weapons. The original post was from October and mass school shootings have continued to be a prolific problem. One suggestion the President seems to be considering pretty seriously is arming teachers. I think that teachers have enough on their plates as it is. They have so many responsibilities and this is so far outside of their duties. However, I don't think I'd be opposed if a teacher wanted to have a gun to protect themselves and their students. Then again, more guns doesn't seem like the best answer. What do you all think?
Re: Teachers and guns [message #87353 is a reply to message #87317] Sat, 03 March 2018 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, A challenging topic. A genuine, huge can of worms. I own a number of vintage muzzle loaders, some newer sporting arms but no automatic weapons. IMO the big issue is why folks seem to think that shooting others is a solution to any sort of problem. I don't think arming others including teachers will make much difference. Worse a lot of well intentioned folks confuse the issue with constitutional rights. I personally don't see it that way. I could argue for either side of that but would rather not get into the arguments along those lines, but stick to the issue of how to solve the problem. I personally have not seen anything proposed by any leader or organization at present that can solve the problem. Considering that the subject has passionate followers on all sides I would like to believe that it can be discussed here without rancor or malice. If it degenerates to such a level I propose that it be deleted.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Teachers and guns [message #87363 is a reply to message #87317] Sun, 04 March 2018 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SpeakUp is currently offline  SpeakUp
Chancellor
So far, this has been one of the few places I've felt comfortable voicing my opinion because everyone here seems pretty mellow. I don't think this is going to solve the core of the issue. I think we should be focusing on our mental health care system. What should be done? I'm not a professional, so I have nothing truly helpful to say about that. I just think we should be looking into the possibilities in that arena before arming our teachers. Additionally, schools should focus on inclusion amongst the student body. Maybe instead of arming teachers with guns, we should ask them to encourage more "popular" students to try and include the loners and the "misfits."
Re: Teachers and guns [message #87470 is a reply to message #87363] Sat, 17 March 2018 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I think it's awful. Guns just don't belong in schools in any shape or form. I imagine many teachers wouldn't feel comfortable packing everyday either. Not everyone is a good shot. Will we test teachers every year to see if they can hit the real target rather than missing and hitting little Johnny?
Re: Teachers and guns [message #87471 is a reply to message #87470] Sat, 17 March 2018 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I think teaching will become a more male dominated field if guns are encouraged. The whole situation is terrible, but I'm not a big supporter of adding weapons to the classroom. A handgun can't take out an automatic rifle anyway. The teacher would be shot with 15 rounds before the teacher could pull the gun, take it off safety, and pull the trigger.
Re: Teachers and guns [message #87476 is a reply to message #87317] Sun, 18 March 2018 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I wonder if the only way a law like that could work, would be to let the teachers whom already own handguns, choose if they feel comfortable wearing a concealed (or exsposed) weapon during school hours.

There are millions of gun owners in the US. Many of them also have a license to carry (both concealed and not).

It stands to reason that some of them are teachers.
Re: Teachers and guns [message #87512 is a reply to message #87476] Fri, 23 March 2018 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Khanman is currently offline  Khanman
Chancellor
johnnycamp5 wrote on Sun, 18 March 2018 11:59
I wonder if the only way a law like that could work, would be to let the teachers whom already own handguns, choose if they feel comfortable wearing a concealed (or exsposed) weapon during school hours.

There are millions of gun owners in the US. Many of them also have a license to carry (both concealed and not).

It stands to reason that some of them are teachers.

That could potentially work. However, I think we need to be focusing on the people they have already hired to be on school grounds who have the proper training. Rather than arming teachers, we should be checking out the security guards to make sure that they're not going to blunder around when something happens, like they did in Florida.
Re: Teachers and guns [message #87800 is a reply to message #87317] Thu, 12 April 2018 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SamW is currently offline  SamW
Baron
Teachers, schools, children, learning, and guns just do not go together. I think it's a stupid idea and is indicative of the sort of short-term thinking that is all most politicians seem to be capable of these days.

It doesn't tackle the cause of the problem and unless the cause is tackled there will be no solution. But guns for teachers is a big "no-no".

Sam
Re: Teachers and guns [message #87817 is a reply to message #87800] Sat, 14 April 2018 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
SamW wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 04:45
Teachers, schools, children, learning, and guns just do not go together. I think it's a stupid idea and is indicative of the sort of short-term thinking that is all most politicians seem to be capable of these days.

It doesn't tackle the cause of the problem and unless the cause is tackled there will be no solution. But guns for teachers is a big "no-no".

I disagree.

Having children in middle and high school, and wiith school shootngs seeming to occur biannually, I for one would feel more comfortable with some armed teachers.
Re: Teachers and guns [message #87835 is a reply to message #87817] Tue, 17 April 2018 00:57 Go to previous message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Wow, look at the civil discussion we're having about a hot button topic. It's a nice change from what you usually find on the internet...and in Congress.
Previous Topic: I hate winter
Next Topic: Art Bell leaves the planet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:31:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout