Home » Audio » Radio » Radio outdated?
Radio outdated? [message #86586] Sat, 18 November 2017 05:15 Go to next message
Solitary is currently offline  Solitary
Baron
I love listening to music, but lately I've started to notice that none of my friends and family listen to the radio. Is it that radio is now a thing of the past or it's just a coincidence that the group of people around me don't listen to radio?
Re: Radio outdated? [message #86590 is a reply to message #86586] Sat, 18 November 2017 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, This seems to me can be either a social or age related thing. It seems that most folks that are older tend to listen to radio as it was what they grew up with. Those on the younger side of things tend to go for digital downloads much the same reason. Then again there are those of us that do neither....I like vinyl first and then CD/DVD music.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Radio outdated? [message #86666 is a reply to message #86586] Mon, 27 November 2017 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pique is currently offline  Pique
Baron
Just from reading posts in this section of the forum, I've come to believe that radio is not outdated at all. Quite the contrary. I think that maybe it's just the people that you are surrounded by that make you think that radio is outdated.
Re: Radio outdated? [message #86785 is a reply to message #86586] Fri, 15 December 2017 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie82 is currently offline  Charlie82
Baron
I know plenty of people who still listen to the radio, but not usually for music. They're usually listening to the news. If we're including satellite radio here, then it's definitely still popular, even for music...although once again. a lot of my friends listen to the news, but we're old.
Re: Radio outdated? [message #86806 is a reply to message #86586] Sun, 17 December 2017 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solitary is currently offline  Solitary
Baron
I guess you could be right that it's an age related thing. I love how technology is constantly changing, but sometimes it feels like it's changing a little too fast for us to keep up.
Re: Radio outdated? [message #86807 is a reply to message #86586] Sun, 17 December 2017 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tikki is currently offline  Tikki
Baron
I know what you mean, Solitary, but it's a good thing that even with all the changes in technology, we still get the option of listening to radio even if no one else is.
Re: Radio outdated? [message #87178 is a reply to message #86586] Wed, 31 January 2018 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lohan is currently offline  Lohan
Chancellor
I have to agree. Just because everyone else is abandoning it for newer technology doesn't mean that there aren't still a lot of people who appreciate it. I, for one, think that radio will be here for decades to come.
Re: Radio outdated? [message #87298 is a reply to message #86586] Wed, 28 February 2018 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spidey is currently offline  Spidey
Chancellor
I think the radio could be on its way to aging out, but it's probably more likely it's just on it's way to changing. Like Charlie82 said, it's still a good source for things like the news, live events, sports, etc. However, as we start losing those who lived during the radio era, we might not have quite as much music on the radio. I could be wrong though. I hope I am. I still like listening to it!
Re: Radio outdated? [message #87412 is a reply to message #86586] Thu, 08 March 2018 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
I don't think it's unrealistic to assume that in one hundred years you will only see radios in museums.

It's a shame that no one has thought to put new audio technology into the frame of a radio. As in, you turn the dial like you're changing radio stations when you're really changing Sirius type stations.

Or some such set-up.
Re: Radio outdated? [message #87414 is a reply to message #87412] Fri, 09 March 2018 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, my new Subaru does that. From one screen you can get AM,FM,satellite (I use XM), and all the typical web based ones (clearly by satellite link) as well as USB, CD, DVD and so on. If it is audio it will get it and they are all set in one menu of presets. So all you need do to get your favoite regardless of what is is, is to tap one "button".

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Creating My Own Radio Station
Next Topic: Don't laugh!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:37:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers