Home » Audio » Source » Why do you buy CDs?
Why do you buy CDs? [message #86408] Sat, 28 October 2017 00:33 Go to next message
goodsounds is currently offline  goodsounds
Chancellor
These days I don't usually buy as many CDs or full albums because I just get an album off of iTunes, or even better a single song if I want. Do you still buy CDs or records for new songs? Is there a reason to continue buying it in the physical form, or is it just for collectors? I'm curious, I should I be buying them in CD form?
Re: Why do you buy CDs? [message #86437 is a reply to message #86408] Mon, 30 October 2017 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
I buy the CD version for my grandparents who refuse to go to digital formats only. It is also the only way to snag many instrumental CDs.
Re: Why do you buy CDs? [message #86443 is a reply to message #86437] Tue, 31 October 2017 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I buy CDs and LPs as not everything is in the cloud yet. Some will never be. I also like to own my copies. The ownership of downloads is a bit fuzzy at present. Plus if you store the music on the cloud...what happens if the server company fails or gets hacked? Do you really suppose they will fix or replace everything?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Why do you buy CDs? [message #86450 is a reply to message #86408] Wed, 01 November 2017 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goodsounds is currently offline  goodsounds
Chancellor
Yes, I've had problems in the past in terms of reliability of digital downloads, however I sometimes just use a streaming service like Spotify instead of just relying on my purchased music. But you do bring up great points for obtaining physical music.
Re: Why do you buy CDs? [message #86596 is a reply to message #86408] Sun, 19 November 2017 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solitary is currently offline  Solitary
Baron
I don't think that's a really great argument for physical music. I mean, in the same way that the server could encounter problems leading to a loss of your music, your home could get burgled and you could lose your CDs anyway... I guess it all comes down to personal choice.
Re: Why do you buy CDs? [message #86602 is a reply to message #86596] Sun, 19 November 2017 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I disagree. With the numerous cloud issues and internet problems (ours craps out about once a month for hours) I see the cloud as less reliable and more prone to losses than the possibility of my home being broken into. Besides, The number of disks I have would be hard to run off with unless you brought lots of help. Same for vinyl. My particular insurance covers them as well. I don't know of any that covers the cloud at present. There still is the issue of ownership. Do you own the digits or are you actually leasing them? Now at the same time I am not nixing digital. It is often quite excellent and clearly has a place. For portability it can't be beat and with the newer formats it is really impossible to tell from the masters it was made from (they are often digital as well).

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Why do you buy CDs? [message #87028 is a reply to message #86408] Tue, 16 January 2018 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aria is currently offline  Aria
Baron
I have CDs but I can't for the life of me remember when I last went into a store and bought one. I get sort of surprised when I see them in stores because I sort of forget there might actually still be a viable market for them.
Re: Why do you buy CDs? [message #87229 is a reply to message #86602] Wed, 14 February 2018 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reinhardt is currently offline  Reinhardt
Chancellor
Gofar99, I highly doubt they would do anything to fix the situation. I'm not even sure what they could do.

Personally, I like CDs because I think they just straight up sound better. Also, if I'm looking for an older album, CDs tend to be cheaper. It's also sort of a habit at this point, honestly. I like digital music for its portability and easy access to all kinds of music at my fingertips. It's just not the same though.
Re: Why do you buy CDs? [message #87325 is a reply to message #86408] Thu, 01 March 2018 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EasyE is currently offline  EasyE
Chancellor
I rarely buy CDs anymore because I enjoy instant gratification too much. You just can't beat how easy it is to buy digital music. Sometimes I'll make the effort if I think the digital version's quality is really inferior, but I usually just make do with what I can get on iTunes or Spotify, Pandora, etc.
Re: Why do you buy CDs? [message #87591 is a reply to message #86408] Wed, 28 March 2018 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ABtoJayZ is currently offline  ABtoJayZ
Chancellor
I cannot remember the last time I bought a CD that wasn't blank. I didn't really know people still bought them until I read this thread. There are some good arguments here that make me kind of wish I hadn't thrown mine all out years ago. Then again, I pretty much had to throw them out because they were all scratched or had something else wrong with them.
Previous Topic: Amazon vs iTunes
Next Topic: Turntable Drawer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:51:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout