Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Cheap Gear
Cheap Gear [message #85711] Mon, 24 July 2017 20:06 Go to next message
Keven is currently offline  Keven
Baron
I don't want to spend a lot of money on getting my little brother in music. What instrument is the cheapest and where can I get it?
Re: Cheap Gear [message #85718 is a reply to message #85711] Tue, 25 July 2017 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think you'll probably want to stay away from all the strings and wind instruments, if cost is a huge issue. And to tell the truth, that pretty much goes for all instruments. But there are rentals, and that might be your answer.

It used to be that piano was one of the most expensive instruments to own, because even uprights were expensive. But these days, you can buy a pretty good electronic keyboard for $100. So that might be a good option.

Re: Cheap Gear [message #85948 is a reply to message #85711] Fri, 25 August 2017 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
Check out pawn shops if you're willing to buy from them. I've seen guitars, flutes, saxophones, and everything in between around here. It was cheaper to buy a flute there than it was to rent one from the music store.
Re: Cheap Gear [message #85961 is a reply to message #85711] Sat, 26 August 2017 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
The danger of going for the 'cheap' tag is that one may end up having musical instruments that aren't long lasting. When I wanted to buy my first guitar, a friend advised against being too 'cost conscious' and true to his word, I went for one that has lasted me more than 10 years.
Re: Cheap Gear [message #85965 is a reply to message #85711] Sat, 26 August 2017 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I think it's sensible to buy an inexpensive starter instrument when you're first learning. You can always sell it later and upgrade to a better version once you know it's something you want to stick with. But, I can also see the point of spending more upfront for better quality. I bet you might luck out if you buy a used instrument that's made by a trustworthy company known for making durable instruments.
Re: Cheap Gear [message #85969 is a reply to message #85965] Sun, 27 August 2017 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
Leot55 wrote on Sat, 26 August 2017 09:50
I think it's sensible to buy an inexpensive starter instrument when you're first learning. You can always sell it later and upgrade to a better version once you know it's something you want to stick with. But, I can also see the point of spending more upfront for better quality. I bet you might luck out if you buy a used instrument that's made by a trustworthy company known for making durable instruments.

Quite so Leot. On the other hand, it can also be worth it to (perhaps) hire an instrument or go for classes where there are a variety of good quality instruments. You can then purchase an instrument of choice, once your mind is made up.
Re: Cheap Gear [message #86054 is a reply to message #85948] Mon, 04 September 2017 12:38 Go to previous message
Zohanna is currently offline  Zohanna
Baron
I agree that pawn shops are a good option. I was able to get my first Martin acoustic guitar for only about $100. It was a great guitar, easy to learn to play, action was really close to the neck. I will keep shopping those pawn shops for instruments that I want to learn.
Previous Topic: Ohm's law
Next Topic: Youtube filming equipment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:05:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout