Home » Audio » General » Can you have too much bass?
Can you have too much bass? [message #84790] Mon, 20 March 2017 05:10 Go to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
This thread is inspired by the driver stopped outside my office right now, who is audibly of the opinion that you can't. I am in the back of the building and my keyboard is vibrating from it. So do you think it's possible to have too mich bass?
Re: Can you have too much bass? [message #84791 is a reply to message #84790] Mon, 20 March 2017 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Too much bass is annoying and distracting. I wouldn't put too much of it; just enough for my ears and sorrounding. Have you seen those people will a lot of bass in their cars?
Re: Can you have too much bass? [message #84799 is a reply to message #84791] Wed, 22 March 2017 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
cwemoy wrote on Mon, 20 March 2017 06:01
Too much bass is annoying and distracting. I wouldn't put too much of it; just enough for my ears and sorrounding. Have you seen those people will a lot of bass in their cars?
No, but I have certainly heard them! Can they really hear the music they are playing, or would they be happy just playing thump-thump-thump-thump through the speakers?
Re: Can you have too much bass? [message #84800 is a reply to message #84799] Wed, 22 March 2017 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Balance

Too much or too little of anything is a bad thing.

We want the volume level of each frequency to be the same as all others, given the same drive level. In other words, if a bass note is recorded at the same level as a treble note, we want playback levels to be the same too. Not higher, not lower.

Re: Can you have too much bass? [message #84801 is a reply to message #84790] Wed, 22 March 2017 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Noise pollution.

The one's who play bass loud enough to where they can't hear anything else must have enough money for new systems more often than the leverage listener.

Wayne is right, systems were made for balance, and when you don;t give a system that it will wear out a lot quicker.
Re: Can you have too much bass? [message #84804 is a reply to message #84790] Thu, 23 March 2017 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vernon is currently offline  Vernon
Baron
I find anyone who forces everyone else to listen to their loud systems like that totally irritating. I love loud music but I wouldn't subject unsuspecting people to it that way.
Re: Can you have too much bass? [message #84806 is a reply to message #84790] Thu, 23 March 2017 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chatzy02 is currently offline  chatzy02
Baron
I know what you mean, Vernon. Music feels good when we are in the mood for it, there is nothing more annoying that having to listen to that loud bass when you're at work or trying to focus on something.
Re: Can you have too much bass? [message #84809 is a reply to message #84790] Fri, 24 March 2017 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
I have come to understand that personal taste comes in the way of sound and what may sound 'too much' to someone, might just be what someone else is comfortable with.

Nonetheless, it is helpful to be aware of your surrounding. I always keep my 'noise' levels at the bare minimum.
The key to great bass - [message #86094 is a reply to message #84790] Sun, 10 September 2017 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
The key to great bass is and has always been equalization with the other components of the sound. If bass is too loud, it is distracting. If it is too soft, you can't really hear it at all. You have to find some middle ground to have a really good bass sound in conjunction with your overall sound. Just one old ladies opinion.
Re: Can you have too much bass? [message #87165 is a reply to message #84790] Tue, 30 January 2018 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gstarey66 is currently offline  gstarey66
Chancellor
Just a side comment.

Have you ever noticed that many bass lovers seem to tend not to care how clean it is as long as it is way loud.

Have heard systems that couldn't even tell what type of drum was being used, just boom, boom, boom. Guess they are in it for the body feel, not the music.
Previous Topic: Hi Res Downloads
Next Topic: General question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:31:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout