Home » Audio » Home Theater » The bass levels
The bass levels [message #84711] Thu, 09 March 2017 12:18 Go to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I just love it when I'm watching a movie and there's enough bass. Combine this with a perfect surround and I see no reason why I shouldn't enjoy any movie. The challenge I have is in equalizing the sound in the speakers. Any ideas?
Re: The bass levels [message #84731 is a reply to message #84711] Fri, 10 March 2017 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
For me, the bass level is very important. It shouldn't be too deep but I should experience the exciting scenes in a movie. Equalizing the sound level is always a challenge for me but my youngest son has a way of doing his thing.
Re: The bass levels [message #84734 is a reply to message #84731] Fri, 10 March 2017 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Equalizing the bass is not the best way to solve the problem. The best way is to use multiple subwoofers. The reason is bass problems are almost always caused by room modes, not by the subwoofers. Room modes are caused by self-interence, interactions between the sound radiated by the subwoofer(s) and the reflections from the walls, floor and ceiling. Since the problem is three-dimensional, the solution is also three-dimensional. Equalization is not.

Equalization can only be effective in one location. You cannot optimize the sound in all locations with equalization. The EQ that is right in one location will be wrong in all others. So the best solution is to use the multisub approach.

Read more about the multisub concept at the link below:
  • Multisubs - Using more than one subwoofer to smooth room modes
Re: The bass levels [message #84736 is a reply to message #84734] Sat, 11 March 2017 02:48 Go to previous message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 14:32

Equalizing the bass is not the best way to solve the problem. The best way is to use multiple subwoofers. The reason is bass problems are almost always caused by room modes, not by the subwoofers. Room modes are caused by self-interence, interactions between the sound radiated by the subwoofer(s) and the reflections from the walls, floor and ceiling. Since the problem is three-dimensional, the solution is also three-dimensional. Equalization is not.

Equalization can only be effective in one location. You cannot optimize the sound in all locations with equalization. The EQ that is right in one location will be wrong in all others. So the best solution is to use the multisub approach.

Read more about the multisub concept at the link below:
  • Multisubs - Using more than one subwoofer to smooth room modes

Wow! This basically sums up everything I have been putting my mind to task on. I think I will just have to get multiple subwoofers for that matter since I've never been able to fully optimize the sound in my room.
Previous Topic: Surround - 5 or 7?
Next Topic: Wireless surround
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:14:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout