Home » Audio » Measurement » Best music for testing speakers?
Best music for testing speakers? [message #84678] Mon, 06 March 2017 16:13 Go to next message
Cortney is currently offline  Cortney
Viscount
Is there some music that is better than others when you're testing speakers? If there is, what is it and why would you consider it better?
Re: Best music for testing speakers? [message #84681 is a reply to message #84678] Mon, 06 March 2017 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The best way to test speakers is with test equipment that uses a test signal. Some test signals are sequences that sound like noise, some are actual noise and some are sine waves and swept sines.

But I think you're looking for an informal "seat of your pants" test. In that case, use material you are familiar with so you already know what to expect.

Re: Best music for testing speakers? [message #85175 is a reply to message #84678] Tue, 09 May 2017 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
I'd never thought of a certain genre of music as an elaborate way of testing speakers. Like Wayne asserts, it is best to use equipment that use test signals.

Now that you've mentioned it, hip hop would probably bring out your speaker's bass.
Re: Best music for testing speakers? [message #85183 is a reply to message #85175] Tue, 09 May 2017 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I'm with Wayne sort of. I use a computer with calibrated mic and octave analyzer. Feeding in pink noise (the program can cancel out existing ambient noise) and looking at the display. That gets the overall balance right and eliminates large nulls and peaks. Then critically listening to music I and familiar with. Usually several types. Some vocals, some just instruments and several different genres. This part can tell if the presentation spatially is good. The PC can't tell you too much about that and while the display might be flat from a power perspective it might be way off on reflections.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Best music for testing speakers? [message #85189 is a reply to message #85183] Wed, 10 May 2017 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
gofar99 wrote on Tue, 09 May 2017 21:59
Hi, I'm with Wayne sort of. I use a computer with calibrated mic and octave analyzer. Feeding in pink noise (the program can cancel out existing ambient noise) and looking at the display. That gets the overall balance right and eliminates large nulls and peaks. Then critically listening to music I and familiar with. Usually several types. Some vocals, some just instruments and several different genres. This part can tell if the presentation spatially is good. The PC can't tell you too much about that and while the display might be flat from a power perspective it might be way off on reflections.

This sounds quite complicated but I suppose this is one of those things that we all need to learn somehow. A lot of people are only content with any sound that emanates from an audio equipment. There's a great need to ensure that proper testing is done.
Re: Best music for testing speakers? [message #89257 is a reply to message #84678] Mon, 19 November 2018 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
I would say, in my simple opinion, that classical music is a good way to test speakers. A classical music usually has a mixture of many musical components, like loudness, timbre, tempo, and pitch.
Re: Best music for testing speakers? [message #90571 is a reply to message #84678] Sun, 30 June 2019 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AcousticJack is currently offline  AcousticJack
Chancellor
I have used a list of tracks in different music genres to test my speakers in the past, and it seemed quite decent. Maybe this will help you: https://www.frontrunnermagazine.com/7-best-songs-for-testing-speakers-or-headphones/
Re: Best music for testing speakers? [message #92503 is a reply to message #84678] Sun, 25 October 2020 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Since a solid argument can be made that no one person or band has yet to match Pink Floyd's expertise, I would go with Pink Floyd.

Dark Side Of the Moon especially has every type of sound a person could hope for if they want to test their system.
Re: Best music for testing speakers? [message #93151 is a reply to message #84678] Fri, 19 February 2021 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
Electric and acoustic music might be good for testing the quality of speakers but there's no harm in trying different genres to be better assured of the sound quality. High-pitched songs are also a good tester because they'll help you know if the speakers will produce crack sounds.
Re: Best music for testing speakers? [message #96932 is a reply to message #84678] Sun, 20 August 2023 15:15 Go to previous message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
Between testing equipment, different genres of music and different methods of playing the music, CD, vinyl, etc.... you should be able to test a system thoroughly.

As always, go with the cheapest method first until you're satisfied.
Previous Topic: Complaining neighbors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:34:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout