Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » EL156
Re: EL156 [message #61681 is a reply to message #61680] Wed, 06 January 2010 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds interesting! Can you post a picture of the amp?

Re: destruction test on el156 [message #62574 is a reply to message #10011] Mon, 10 May 2010 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SASAudioLabs is currently offline  SASAudioLabs
Chancellor
PakProtector wrote on Wed, 07 November 2007 18:57

hey-Hey!!!,
I had to smile at your screen wattage testing. I once ran 85W through the g2 of a 4E27 I was testing when I forgot to put B+ on the anode. It survived OK...Smile

As to the differences, which data are the 100V/100 mA data comming from? I assume your measurements? I can't offer anything concrete, but a good sounding power pentode with a 60W plate is not going to get a very close look from me under most circumstances, eh?
cheers,
Douglas

It is quite obvious they simply posted 6550 curves to the El-156.

If you are going to pop in and get cocky, I could care less about your little 75 watt plate dissipation 4E27 tube. I have worked, professionally, with much mightier tubes than that pip squeak tube. How big do you want to go Doug? Laughing

The point is that the EL-156 tube is more rugged than the specs indicate, so the tube is run conservatively. Sometimes tubes get specs that they cannot meet without overloading.

Cheers.
Re: destruction test on el156 [message #62576 is a reply to message #62574] Mon, 10 May 2010 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We were talking about 6550 and KT88 tubes here a while back:
I have a handful of different 6550 and KT88 tubes from different manufacturers. But I've never tried an EL156. Do you think I should try that tube? Any brands you suggest?

Re: EL156 [message #63116 is a reply to message #9889] Wed, 09 June 2010 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I just got a quad of the EL156s for a friend who asked that I audition them before sending overseas to him. Such a deal. Physically they are a bit taller, but similar in construction to KT88s. As the designer of the OddBlock series of class A U/L push-pull amps these were an opportunity to push the envelope a bit for free. For comparison, I normally use JJ Blue Glass KT88s and for lower power JJ Blue Glass EL34s. I have tried many brands and types - but these seem to suit me best. The rest of the system is a modified Marantz CD5001 player, a preamp that I designed that will operate as active (tube) or passive, the OddBlocks, and Martin Logan Vista ESLs. For vinyl, a Dual 701 with Grado Prestige cartridge and a modified transistor preamp (I have a tube one in the works now). So back to the sound. I ran the EL156s at the same power level as the KT88s (450 B+ and 180 ma per pair at idle). The 156s are considerably more sensitive than the KT88s (expected if you look at the bias settings). The sound was powerful, very solid bass, almost too much, mids and highs very crisp. The sound was right in your face. Good sound stage width, good detail. Things like cymbals and bells were well sounded. Generally a great set of tubes for rock music. By comparison the JJ Blues are much more polite. Well rounded, not quite as much bottom end, very lush sound while maintaining the detail and separation well. The 156s could easily been pushed about 25% for more power if needed and I would expect the sound to be pretty much the same. Overall, a pretty good tube if you like your music crisp and powerful.

BTW I have a quad of matched KT120s coming next week. They could be really killers if they sound decent.

Hope this helps,

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: EL156 [message #63118 is a reply to message #63116] Thu, 10 June 2010 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent, Bruce, thanks for your input! I'll have to order a pair of EL156 tubes and give them a try!

Re: EL156 [message #63397 is a reply to message #63116] Wed, 14 July 2010 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
gofar99 wrote on Wed, 09 June 2010 21:08
Hi, I just got a quad of the EL156s for a friend who asked that I audition them before sending overseas to him. Such a deal. Physically they are a bit taller, but similar in construction to KT88s. As the designer of the OddBlock series of class A U/L push-pull amps these were an opportunity to push the envelope a bit for free. For comparison, I normally use JJ Blue Glass KT88s and for lower power JJ Blue Glass EL34s. I have tried many brands and types - but these seem to suit me best. The rest of the system is a modified Marantz CD5001 player, a preamp that I designed that will operate as active (tube) or passive, the OddBlocks, and Martin Logan Vista ESLs. For vinyl, a Dual 701 with Grado Prestige cartridge and a modified transistor preamp (I have a tube one in the works now). So back to the sound. I ran the EL156s at the same power level as the KT88s (450 B+ and 180 ma per pair at idle). The 156s are considerably more sensitive than the KT88s (expected if you look at the bias settings). The sound was powerful, very solid bass, almost too much, mids and highs very crisp. The sound was right in your face. Good sound stage width, good detail. Things like cymbals and bells were well sounded. Generally a great set of tubes for rock music. By comparison the JJ Blues are much more polite. Well rounded, not quite as much bottom end, very lush sound while maintaining the detail and separation well. The 156s could easily been pushed about 25% for more power if needed and I would expect the sound to be pretty much the same. Overall, a pretty good tube if you like your music crisp and powerful.

BTW I have a quad of matched KT120s coming next week. They could be really killers if they sound decent.

Hope this helps,

As you know, the sound quality is dependent upon the design and brand parts used. Using a design and brand parts for a KT-88 is not going to be the same as one for the EL-156.

As an example, playing Stereophile 2, track 10, soundstage; the gent was easily 40 feet behind the mic (speaker) when he was so, and at the mic (speaker) when he was so. As I said, depends on the design and parts used if you wish it in your face or more relaxed etc. I listen to classical and rock all the time with great soundstage. No problem with bass, but that would depend upon the speaker/woofer, Q, room resonances/treatments etc.

Cheers.

ps. Here is a picture of test amps from the 2009 AKfest using KT88s, before I changed the design to EL-156s.

index.php?t=getfile&id=233&private=0
  • Attachment: ak9amp.jpg
    (Size: 59.34KB, Downloaded 6509 times)
Re: EL156 [message #73060 is a reply to message #63397] Wed, 20 June 2012 14:44 Go to previous message
Chancellor
The photo is being updated. The 11A Reference Line Preamplifier is in a new Aluminum chassis and knobs. The Monoblock chassis are also to be in the same aluminum chassis, for a matching look.

The file is too large, so I will provide a link.

http://www.sasaudiolabs.com/picture5.htm

Cheers.
Previous Topic: Buying Amps on eBay
Next Topic: Poddwatt - First Posting of a Project Link
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:58:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers