Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Looking for tube advice
Re: 12AX7EH-GOLD [message #9561 is a reply to message #9558] Fri, 17 February 2006 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the Electro-Harmonix tube worked out for you.

Did you ever find out if the first tube you bought was bad? I mean, does it test bad, a defective tube, or is the Groove Tube brand just no good in your particular amp?

Re: 12AX7EH-GOLD [message #9562 is a reply to message #9561] Fri, 17 February 2006 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blades976 is currently offline  blades976
Chancellor
I have not had the tube tested and may send it in to BOI for giggles if they feel like dissecting the thing.

The original tube in the amp was a Groove Tubes 12AX7 (This may not be Hartke's OEM tube as the bass head was purchased used), the first replacement was a Groove Tubes 12AX7C (Chinese Manufacture) that made the amp go berserk. So far the outcome is pointing to either a bad tube or a bad series of tubes; shame because Groove Tubes touts their QC process as being extremely stringent.

If the new tube holds up for a few weeks, I'll order another as a spare.

Thanks for all the advice

John

Re: 12AX7EH-GOLD [message #9563 is a reply to message #9562] Fri, 17 February 2006 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Ahh, I see. Probably just a bad tube then. Thanks for letting us know!

Re: AMP FREAKS OUT [message #9653 is a reply to message #9529] Mon, 15 May 2006 06:18 Go to previous message
MGDeWulf is currently offline  MGDeWulf
Esquire
Sounds like the Groove Tube. I've had bad luck with Groove Tubes. Noisey and bad sounding stuff for the most part. They were 12AX7's. I know of at least one tube site on the internet that refuses to carry Groove Tubes. They say it's because Groove Tube doesn't actually make tubes, but buys tubes and rebadges them. I can't substantiate that.

Marty

Previous Topic: DeVille 212 amp trouble.
Next Topic: Best connecters? No connectors?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:55:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio