Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Corner Horn positioning "Sweet Spot" for listening...HELP
Re: Corner Horn positioning "Sweet Spot" for listening...HELP [message #49419 is a reply to message #49417] Mon, 01 May 2006 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tobias is currently offline  Tobias
Chancellor
I listen to a fairly broad range of music, although primarily rock, blues, and large scale classical. The Seven Pi doesn't seem to favor one genre over another. They can definitely rock the house, but they also sound convincing on large scale classical and vocal recordings. I don't know what you have for speakers today, but just for reference the Seven Pi replaced a 6k pair of Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III SEs in my system. While the VR-4s go lower and have a more focused soundstage, the Sevens are much more effortless at unraveling complex music and portraying more realistic dynamics, impact, and scale. These are things that make listening engaging for me. In other words they pass the foot tapping test.

I bit the bullet and went for the all JBL (Professional) setup. I have no way of knowing how close the Audiophile series is, or the Stage series for that matter. Those options could have saved significant money, and I debated which way to go for a long time, but ultimately decided I didn't want to second guess down the road. If your budget allows I would also upgrade the crossovers. The difference imo is pretty dramatic.

Re: Corner Horn positioning "Sweet Spot" for listening...HELP [message #49427 is a reply to message #49419] Tue, 02 May 2006 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mito is currently offline  mito
Chancellor
Thank`s for shareing your impression.My music taste seems to be the same-blues,rock,country. Actually I have been a fan of Lowthers for a while,I running for the momemt construction from Bob Brines(LT-2000) and Fedelio horn. I have been thinking of the "Sevens" for while, but know it´s time to realize the project.
JBL would be the way to go for, but as I don`t live in US it`s gonna cost a lot,you know for a pair of 2226 i have to pay aprox. $1470.
I know it´s cheaper to buy from US but with freght cost,tax etc.. I don`t know! I will see!
The only thing I´m concerning about is the midrange horn/cabinet.I need to look more into the plans.
Do you recommend to order the midrange horn from Wayne ,would it be worth the cost to have it shipped to Sweden.According to the plan it looks like a simple construction.Am I wrong or..?

Re: Corner horns without the triangular baffle [message #49428 is a reply to message #49394] Wed, 03 May 2006 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Tom's great looking horns, like others we've seen here, dispense with the verticular(anybody wanna play scrabble?) triangular construction that mates with the corner.
How important is it?
I'm tempted to try reversing the Pro 4 cabinets and have them fire into the corners.

Re: Corner horns without the triangular baffle [message #49429 is a reply to message #49428] Wed, 03 May 2006 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

My 7Pi have the triangular extensions top and bottom per plan. I just never got around to adding the 'dog house roof' rear panels. I have the panels cut and finished, and ready to install. I myself am not sure what value they would add other then additional support. Even then the bottom plate is made up from doubled up 3/4 plywood, and I have cherry trim on top which makes the top plate more rigid then normal. The midhorn needs the extra depth for support.

Re: Corner Horn positioning "Sweet Spot" for listening...HELP [message #49430 is a reply to message #49427] Wed, 03 May 2006 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
The midhorn kit saved me a lot of time, and simply ensured that the horn dimensions were correct. I probably could have figured out how to make them, but it would have been time consumming and prone to error. I had the actual midhorns together in less than 2 hrs after recieving the flatpacks. Dowells are used to align the panels, but I also found 1.25" drywall screws useful for locking the panels tightly together and ensuring a strong glue bond.

Re: Corner Horn positioning "Sweet Spot" for listening...HELP [message #49431 is a reply to message #49419] Wed, 03 May 2006 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Tom,

I have to agree that of all the qualities of a great pair of speakers, dynamics is very under-rated. For me, the ability for the sound to explode is more important for realistic reproduction than extension or tonal balance.

Don't think too much about the premiums on JBL drivers. Although they do cost more, they hold their value in the used market much better than Eminence.

Gar.

Re: Didn't the 'doghouse' used to have a floor? Wayne? [message #49432 is a reply to message #49429] Wed, 03 May 2006 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thought I remembered it being closed in and the space filled with that expanding foam insulation?

Re: Didn't the 'doghouse' used to have a floor? Wayne? [message #49433 is a reply to message #49432] Wed, 03 May 2006 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

π cornerhorns are open in back. On some folded horns, I've used expansion foam in small chambers with dead space. But π cornerhorns don't have any empty chambers like that.

Re: Corner Horn positioning "Sweet Spot" for listening...HELP [message #49443 is a reply to message #49427] Sun, 07 May 2006 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi mito,
May I ask you how much you pay if you ask from Wayne?
Is not $1470 is it? Is the difference with mail (for Europe) and taxes worth the effort? I don't mean with the cabinets, just for speakers.
Regards

Re: Corner Horn positioning "Sweet Spot" for listening...HELP [message #49447 is a reply to message #49443] Mon, 08 May 2006 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mito is currently offline  mito
Chancellor
Hi!

I reckon that I only can by a complete speaker kit from Wayne.
To by only a pair of speaker from ex. parts express it`s half the price compare to by it Sweden. But to ship it to Sweden I have to add 25% tax,freght cost and cost for custom and tax.I don`t know were it will end.

Previous Topic: Cornerhorns for this room?
Next Topic: 2 pi and PiAlign program
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 20:53:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout