Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » taming the piezoelectric
Re: taming the piezoelectric, attn: Bill Epstein [message #43903 is a reply to message #43894] Tue, 10 February 2004 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm so fickle and easy to please.
However, I just completed a trial that convinces me there is still no substitute for "cubic inches"!
First, Theatre 4 Pi and Studio 2 Pi are really great with the 2A3 tube, 3 watts. Amazing bass along with expected sweet mids and top.
Also the 4 Pi in particular was terrific with a mid-fi transisstor receiver. The PSD-2002 is somewhat more forgiving and rounded than the JBL 24?? for instance.
In the back of my mind, tho', was the idea that SET's round off something to achieve that sound.
Where things really came into focus for me was the introduction of the Ella EL-34 amp. Excellent control of the lows and very detailed but not fatiguing mids and highs. I went to Triode at 15 watts looking for a more "SET" sound and was unimpressed. When I recently switched back to Pentode and the full 40 watts per, what a difference! While there is a definite "amplified" sound moreso than with SET's overall the dynamics, tonal shading and imaging of the Pentode is superior. Better control over the motors, I guess?
High Efficiency does not preclude high power by any means.

Re: taming the piezoelectric, attn: Bill Epstein [message #43909 is a reply to message #43903] Tue, 10 February 2004 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jlharden is currently offline  jlharden
Viscount
Hi Bill,

Back to pentode? That's interesting news. I too am enjoying the Ella in pentode, though I'm running the KT-88's. After hearing it in both configurations I don't think I'll ever go back to triode. There is something just right about pentode. More clean,focused and DYNAMIC! How are the new quasi 4 Pro Pi's sounding? Did you adhere to the proper Pialignment(1.92 ft) or did you go a little bigger? Jerrod

Re: taming the piezoelectric [message #43919 is a reply to message #43899] Wed, 11 February 2004 20:11 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thunder Bay! And I thought I had a short working season in Toronto. I feel ashame to be complaining.

Don't solder anything until you like what you hear. Just crimp the wires first. Even if you like what you hear, wait for another week just to be sure.

You can attach the resistor across the two poles of the tweeter directly if that's all you're going to do. It don't look like you're need a cap to attenuate or cross early, seeing its only 92dB eff and rolls off at 1.8K.

Again, try different values first to see (hear) what you like.

Gar.

Previous Topic: 2pi tower pics
Next Topic: Recommendation on Horn Flare for 4 Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:45:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers