Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Back from the Vet and de-Wormed
Re: What he said!!! [message #42332 is a reply to message #42331] Mon, 01 September 2003 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Actually, I'm experiencing more 60hzhumm than high frequency hiss. This old house needs an electrical update and power balance or filter of some sort.

Bill

Re: See, I told you [message #42333 is a reply to message #42323] Mon, 01 September 2003 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

If you leave the cap off your glue bottle you'll get an infection.

We just picked up the lord of the rings dvd the other day. Have not seen it yet. Fargo was bizzare, and good.

Re: What he said!!! [message #42334 is a reply to message #42331] Mon, 01 September 2003 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

For straight 5dB padding without any top-octave augmentation, I'd suggest 4 ohms in series and 10 ohms in shunt across the tweeter.

Re: What he said!!! [message #42335 is a reply to message #42332] Mon, 01 September 2003 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think line frequency hum (and its full-cycle rectified double) are probably the most oft-cited problem in audio. Ironically, this almost never plagues people running four hundred dollar receivers. Just the guys running expensive separates, who have to deal with ground loops and relatively long preamp signal lines. I think a lot of tube amps probably have relatively primitive power supply circuits too, so that probably introduces some hum as well.

Active Crossover [message #42339 is a reply to message #42335] Tue, 02 September 2003 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
I'm not sure if this applies to you Bill, but I went to an active XO a while back and experienced hum that wasn't present with the passive XO. My problem turned out to be cable related. On the back of my XO (Urei 525) there is provision to use XLR's or barrier strips on the in puts and outputs. By putting jumpers between the ground on the barrier strip and the neutral on the input side, my hum went away.
Kelly

Re: What he said!!! [message #42342 is a reply to message #42334] Tue, 02 September 2003 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Wayne,

Thanks! thats exellant. I'll give it a try later this this week
Man this would be so much ,more, fun if we lived closer
Bill

Re: Active Crossover [message #42343 is a reply to message #42339] Tue, 02 September 2003 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi Kelly,

Wayne's right about the expensive stuff. never a problem with a receiver and always , lets just say challanging with seperates!

This time its coming from from the expensive tube amp. This is the only one that is not connected with balanced lines from the crossover.

I still have a couple different ways to try and connect the bal/unbal together. There is still always "gasp" ground lifting.

Your right though, it's in the cabling because this amp doesnt have a hum when its all by itself.

Bill

Re: What he said!!! [message #42344 is a reply to message #42342] Tue, 02 September 2003 19:40 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, I'm wishing all of us could get together more often too. There's a meeting this Saturday here in Tulsa, and it would be sooooo cool if you and Baker and Epstein and Duemm could pop on over. I wish we could have all gone to the Stones concert with George too. But it ain't like we're 20 years old anymore - We each have responsibilities and can't make weekend road trips as often as we used too. Sure would be great if we lived closer though!!!

Previous Topic: measurement questions
Next Topic: Madisound have a really great service!!!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:08:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio