Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi and 1 Pi closeness to wall placement question.
Additional comment... [message #37955 is a reply to message #37953] Thu, 22 August 2002 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik Johansson is currently offline  Erik Johansson
Viscount
You see Wayne, you really got me interested a week ago or so when you wrote this in an email: "If you are working on a tighter budget, I would suggest two π tower speakers. They sound great, and aren't very expensive. The tower version provides deeper bass extension with the same small footprint. It gives deep enough bass response that you won't need subs."

Is this what you were talking about then? If so, may I see the plans? :)

You and your company are really too good to be true.

Best regards
/Erik

You've got mail! [message #37957 is a reply to message #37954] Thu, 22 August 2002 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I wouldn't go much above 160 liters for an Alpha 10 cabinet tuned to 40Hz.
You've got mail! [message #37958 is a reply to message #37955] Thu, 22 August 2002 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yes, the two π towers are what I was referring to. I've sent plans so watch for them in your inbox.
2 Pis facing the wall ! [message #37963 is a reply to message #37940] Thu, 22 August 2002 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin is currently offline  Edwin
Baron
Hi Wayne and the guys,
Last night, after reading enough post regarding cornerhorns, I tried to make some placement experiments with my 2Pis. My present listening room is far from ideal. As with the majority I suppose it is incorporated in the living room which opens to the dining room. I have only one corner where my right speaker resides and the wall right to the Right speaker is a sliding glass door.
Out of curiosity I have the 2Pis face the front wall, 4" away, and slightly tilted upwards about 3/4". The ambience it generated was very pleasant and for the first time I am listening to a reflected sound by choice and loving it! Also, the bass seemed to be much lower and more forceful than when it is firing directly at me 4" from the wall. The only drawback is that the highs are subdued but not that much that it looses its flavor. This is understandable as the tweeters are also facing the wall. Overall, the sound is okay. If this is a preview of how a cornerhorn will sound then I am thrilled! Can you build a cornerhorn with the 2Pi hardware retaining its crossoverless design? I don't think the bass response will be inadequate in my future 12 feet by 15 feet room.
Any plan of a cornerhorn design using 2Pi hardware in the future, Wayne? I am also interested in your Tower design. Can you also send me the plans?
Best Regards,
Edwin
You've got mail! [message #37965 is a reply to message #37963] Thu, 22 August 2002 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks & One suggestion [message #37966 is a reply to message #37957] Thu, 22 August 2002 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vladimir4 is currently offline  vladimir4
Chancellor
Thanks a lot!

& I have also one suggestion for this design: place the tweeter
on the front baffle using golden ratios: the baffle width is 16",
so place the tweeter at 10" from left, (6" from right - rather than 8"/8") and 4" from the top. (more precision can be calculated using exact value of Phi=1.618034). Important think is to mirror left/right speaker.

This is an easy tweak, on my 2Pi towers the improvement of stereo
image was impressionant!

v.

Low-end on these new towers [message #37967 is a reply to message #37958] Thu, 22 August 2002 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik Johansson is currently offline  Erik Johansson
Viscount
How would you rate the low-end on these Two Pi towers compared to the Thermionic 3 Pi that I was thinking of building before I heard about this? I'd love to see some response curves (I'm trying to master Boxplot!) comparing them.

I'll play around some more with Boxplot, maybe I'll get it right :)

You recommend to put them in the corners. Would my corner where part of the ceiling is angled 45 degrees against the left side wall be ok? At its lowest point (against the side wall) the ceiling is down to 122cm height? The speakers are 116cm high so they would really be "in the corner", if you know what I mean.

This I my only option, so I hope it's ok.

/Erik

Re: Low-end on these new towers [message #37996 is a reply to message #37967] Thu, 22 August 2002 14:56 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Response of tower two π loudspeakers is flat down to 35Hz.
Previous Topic: 2 Pi Tower Speaker Plans
Next Topic: Who is close to Omaha, Nebraska
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 19:41:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout