Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » good news and bad news
Re: Solutions for 5 cubic feet [message #37027 is a reply to message #37023] Fri, 21 June 2002 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Theater Series four π's are really great speakers. When you have 'em done, they don't really seem "too big" and they are well worth the size. Sealed alignments for the Delta 15 are underdamped if less than eight cubic feet. Six cubic feet is acceptable, but a ported alignment is better in all respects so it just doesn't make sense to run this speaker in a sealed cabinet. Run some response curves with Boxplot and you'll see what I mean.

Re: good news and bad news [message #37028 is a reply to message #37014] Fri, 21 June 2002 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Jerry, Another thing to consider is just to stretch them up a bit. Most listening rooms benefit by the additional height anyway, and you'd need less floor space, which is usually at a premium. I made mine 49.5" tall, which put the woofer-tweeter halfway point right at ear level, and the smaller footprint makes placement easier.
John
pp6BQ5's hit 100dB at 2 on the volume [message #37031 is a reply to message #37022] Fri, 21 June 2002 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
when driving my "quasi" 4 Pi Pro's (jbl 2035 woofers) with a Fisher 500S tube receiver. If that ain't loud enough, buy your buddy a hearing aid!

Seriously, a modest amount of tube power works well with 100dB/watt speakers such as Wayne's designs, as long as the drivers z is benign.
But connect a 200watt or greater SAND amp, and those babies will sing at rock concert levels with minimal distortion. I run out of tolerance for the spl's way before I run out of amplifier gain, even when wearing 30dB ear muffs.

With a 100watt amp, at 2.5 on the preamp, average MEASURED spl (fast, c weighting) is 100dB. At 4.5 on the pre, spl was 110dB. At 8, the 1% distortion lights on the amp were blinking, spl was a steady 120dB, but I would not run my gear that hard for long (and my ears were still getting 90dB!). Oh yeah, 100watts will rock your socks off, definitely. With my 200watt amp, I could run those speakers at 120dB INDEFINITELY. And believe me, Stevie Ray Vaughan at 120dB is rocking...

And with Wayne's crown amps, I could "get that last 8 or 10 dB" of pure power output from these guys, and hit 125 to 130dB. But how loud is enough? I usually listen at 70 to 80dB maximum, unless I'm trying to convince the neighbors who home school their kids that Ozzie Ozbourne was a genius with the guitar...you just gotta hear Black Sabbath's first album at 100dB plus to understand, track 5 was playing one night, and suddenly we noticed, hey, there are some pretty good licks hidden in that old metal "noise".

Oh yeah, at 120dB, the sound did "become slightly congested", to tell the truth. I think the spl's were starting to shake the cd player by then :( Sam

with ebay, caveat empor (long) [message #37035 is a reply to message #37016] Fri, 21 June 2002 13:16 Go to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
must be remembered at all times. I realize the selection seems great and the prices can be attractive (watch that shipping on 511's).

But I have done very well even in my small West Texas town at finding used gear, vintage and modern, at good prices and in situations where you can "check it out personally" before any money (and no shipping) changes hands.

You guys need to get some fresh air away from the keyboards, and hit a few thrift stores and estate sales. In the NICE parts of town.

Another great tactic, pester friends and family members (the older ones) about old stuff they might have "laying around". Most are happy to donate gear to budding audio fans. Even if it's broke, the repair might be simple. My brother-in-law supposedly has a garage full of "broken" stereo speakers, sometimes it could be just a bad connection, but there they will sit, he "is not into fixing stuff", he just gets new ones. And not at best buy.

Military base nearby? Keep an eye out, ours has a big "garage sale" out at their rec camp several times a year, where the public is welcome. $80 brought a pair of Klipsch KG-2's, Kenwood receiver, cassete recorder, and cd player used, but all in factory cartons with all remotes and manuals. The cd player needed a "rubber band" for the tray mechanism, and I literally ran it for months with one till I bought a rubber belt locally. Everything else worked great, the KG's are my computer "monitor" speakers now.

You have better odds getting out and beating the bushes locally for old gear. Ebay, although I use it too, SHOULD NEVER BE YOUR PRIMARY SOURCE of old hifi. Oh yeah, and pawn shops have the cheapest used cd's, but the most expensive, beat to shit band gear I've ever seen. The ones in SC near Charleston's bases are full of great hifi gear though.

Hit the streets guys, and save some money for building speakers, cause most of the old classic drivers never match worth a darn, and your imaging with them will suck. Those great speakers "that just need refoamed", pass them on by, you will be better off in the long run. Sam

oh yeah, and there was the time I choked at an auction locally for about $25K worth of late model Macintosh HT gear. wife said I could spend $5K. musta been 110 that afternoon in there, my heart was pounding, and I was sweating like I would die. you see, I had witnessed this lady bidder make mince meat of a bunch of other bidders, and she was winning every damn auction. so after the bids went over $300, it was down to me and the lady bidder from hell. back and forth, in 100 increments. then I raised her to like $2500, a big jump. back and forth some more, and I caved in at $3K and let her win. never did figure out what I would have done with it anyway, and the repairs if needed could have been pretty costly. BUT IF I HAD STAYED HOME, that lady would have "won" for under $300...

Previous Topic: Plans for 4pi professional series
Next Topic: Basic Xover questions....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 00:39:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout