Home » Audio » Group Build » Peerless transformers
Re: Trademarks and intellectual property rights [message #31331 is a reply to message #31328] Wed, 14 September 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I agree. If DST wants to sue someone for using the Peerless name to sell Class 9 products, they would probably have a good case. If they issue a cease and desist letter, it would probably be wise to heed it. They have the resources to litigate, and a pretty good claim to the name.

Listen, let's take this to the Dungeon. This would be better to discuss there. Pretty soon the moderator will probably start deleting posts because they don't have anything to do with a group build.

Here's the link to a thread where we can discuss IP issues further:

There is no record of that number in the PTO database [message #31332 is a reply to message #31330] Wed, 14 September 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Trademarks and intellectual property rights [message #31333 is a reply to message #31328] Wed, 14 September 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
This is a fascinating discussion that pretty much sums up the the state of the use of trademark on the net. I am not an attorney but in my reading I see two issues here. One is the cross-posting; ie answering a question that wasn't asked and asking a question that doesn't apply to the situation.
Two; what I get from this debate is what I got from a casual question I posed to an attorney acquantance which resulted in the response that a trademark is only worth what you are willing to pay to have it enforced.
I realise that a transformer has many proprietary issues in it's manufacture. The final consensus up to this point is that anyone can build a trans just don't name it Peerless. But the name peerless also has a meaning indigenous to a part of the circuit parameters of a transformer used in many amplifiers. If one were to need to replicate one transformer that held all of the specs and techniques of the Peerless Trans; but that particular unit was not manufactured and required sourceing; how would you describe the unit in question?
You would need to name it and at that point where does the status of the peerless name stand?
Thats my question.

Re: Trademarks and intellectual property rights [message #31334 is a reply to message #31324] Wed, 14 September 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master
Hi Wayne:

just a quick note... and then I have to finish moving our storage facitlities from point A to point B. Don't ever move...

I don't want to discuss the fine points of law... and I assume your not an attorney with expertise in patents and trademarks and I certainly am not. But I have had an attorney represent us in all matters relating to the assignment and the subsequent reissue of the said trademark and will be contacting him soon for his guidance.

again, this is on a common sense level, very clear... we have used the name in interstate commerce with reference to audio transformers for a number of years and the Peerless mark itself had been in force as early as 1956. And the founders of the company began use of the name Peerless as a mark of a specific brand of transformers as early as 1934.

again, what I find unsettling is the prospect that any number of small specialty audio related business's would appear to not be afforded any protection of their namesake on the audioroundtable unless they can prove to you that they have a federal registration. And as I have shown many of these small firms lack such federal registration.

I thought that given our long usage of the subject trademark and a clear understanding of what it stands for... would have been enough "proof" for you...

I can only imagine how other small companies would make out under the same tests.

Mike

then there must be an error in the database [message #31335 is a reply to message #31332] Wed, 14 September 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I'm looking at the certificate of renewal issued by the US Patent and Trademark Office on March 6, 1996 issued in my wife's name.

msl

Re: then there must be an error in the database [message #31336 is a reply to message #31335] Wed, 14 September 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Is this the link you are searching?

Re: then there must be an error in the database [message #31337 is a reply to message #31336] Wed, 14 September 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's the link to the website, yes. Are you sure you've typed the right number?

Re: Trademarks and intellectual property rights [message #31338 is a reply to message #31333] Wed, 14 September 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Manualblock:

hey...nice post and some good questions for lay people... and interesting fodder intellectually.

you wrote;

:::The final consensus up to this point is that anyone can build a trans just don't name it Peerless.:::

again, I have no problem with Dougie or anyone else who wants to go into the transformer business... but use John Atwood's model... design and build or have built your products identify them with your own name or brand name... and build up your reputation the ole fashion way... by building one quality product after another...

taking or misappropiating the namesake of a company who common sense you know that your mis-using... is the lazy, shyster way of doing business...

just as would be the case if I copied Wayne's designs and called them Pi Dynamics or Pi Sound... it would be an attempt to cash in on Wayne's hard work and good will...

I'm not sure if I follow the "indigenous" part... there has not been to my knowledge confusion such as perhaps clouds the Kleenex trademark... where a registered mark becomes known as designating a generic class or type of goods.

Peerless transformers made a wide range of transformers.... from entry level to reasonably sophisticated. They also made transformers for differing industries (they were not solely an audio transformer manufacturer)...

I've never seen anyone use the phrase "I need a Peerless for my EL84 amp's output stage" as a generic calling that they need an "output transformer" and perhaps they would prefer a Peerless branded output.

msl

Re: Trademarks and intellectual property rights [message #31339 is a reply to message #31333] Wed, 14 September 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your attorney friend is right on target here. Policing IP is very expensive, litigation is almost prohibitively so for small companies.

If Mike has a lot invested in this, he should definuitely get an IP attorney to make sure his claim to the name is valid.

to the dungeon we go.... [message #31340 is a reply to message #31331] Wed, 14 September 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master

Previous Topic: Merlin OPTx:group purchase organization
Next Topic: and this marks to my knowledge...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:35:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio