Home » Audio » Group Build » Stereo chassis or mono's?
Stereo chassis or mono's? [message #30321] Fri, 28 January 2005 18:57 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-hey!!!,
before y'all get too stoned on solder fumes building, I figured I'd ask about some basics in build preferences.

Pros and Cons seems a bit on the square side...stereo chassis seems OK to ~20W. L-C power supplies for anything bigger get too heavy to carry easily. Mono construction requires matched stuff. Can't have one channel 40V different from the other.

So, class A output stage. 15-25Watts. No rare or expensive valves. No scary voltages.

This leaves a few possibilities. I am trying to decide on the next amp project. Expanding to 813's for personal use and 'research' is one possibility. Some small, comparatively inexpensive stuff like 6V6's or 6L6's is another. The new 7591's look quite appetizing as well. The ease of driving them is not to be ignored. the question of where they like their U-L taps is probably going to be a somve by building thing. Multiple taps is no big deal with a lot of the designs I'd use for OPT's.

regards,
Douglas

Re: Stereo chassis or mono's? [message #30322 is a reply to message #30321] Sat, 29 January 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I kinda like mono amps for ease of placement and no need for long speaker runs. Matching I see could be a headache but all we have is time. The 6L6 is a nice ballsy tube.
Just to clarify; why low plate volts? Is that why you did not list the 807's?

Re: Stereo chassis or mono's? [message #30323 is a reply to message #30321] Sat, 29 January 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
Douglas,

Been following your group build pre. Looks like it is going to be alot of fun. Would have liked to join, but too many other irons in the fire right now.

For an inexpensive amp, with great sound, what about the:
a) Simple 84
b) Compact 84
c) PP 84 on both the Electra-Print & Chris Brady sites
d) PP 6v6 on Poinz's site.

Joe

Got links? (nt) [message #30324 is a reply to message #30323] Sat, 29 January 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Re: Got links? (nt) [message #30325 is a reply to message #30324] Sat, 29 January 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Chris Beck http://www.geocities.com/n9zes@sbcglobal.net/EL84PSA.html

Electra-Print http://www.electra-print.com/el84psa.html

Poinz http://audiotropic.netfirms.com/blurb1.html

Simple EL84 http://diyparadise.com/simpleel84.html

Compact EL84 http://diyparadise.com/ultracompact.html

Thanks for the quick reply! [message #30326 is a reply to message #30325] Sat, 29 January 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Have you built or heard any of these designs?.....Colin

low voltage [message #30327 is a reply to message #30322] Sat, 29 January 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Low voltage is to ensure easy class A bias w/o running the valves to their dissipation limits. Makes getting replacements easier, after building an amp to use Type II KT90's ( and then having the supply of good ones vanish ), I have changed the philosophy.

Besides, the power diff between 80% and 95 is not a big difference. 807's are not out of the runing yet, they fall into good 6L6 cassification for me.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Stereo chassis or mono's? [message #30328 is a reply to message #30323] Sat, 29 January 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I like Poinz's amp. Small changes which also simplify things will get a bit more power from it easily. Same good two-stage amp.

EL84 is getting into the sought-after/expensive category for the good ones, so I put it a distant second to some other choices.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Thanks for the quick reply! [message #30329 is a reply to message #30326] Sat, 29 January 2005 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I have not!

That said, I did get a chance a while back to audition some "high end" equipement which included a SE 845, SE EL34, PP EL34. The amp that caught my attention was the PP EL34. I really enjoyed it. It could have been a system syngery thing, but I did have time to sort that out. Sooo, I've been looking at a lot of PP designs.

I've been looking at the Nutshell HiFi site, Bruce Rosenblitz site, Vacuumstate Electronics, Gary Pimm, as well as the sites listed earlier.

Nutshell Hifi favors PP DHT's. The others are into PP Pentodes and OTL's. I have favor PP Pentodes due to what I HAVE heard, which isn't much. Beside I figure you get more bangh for the buck here on the "dark side." So my earlier post.

What about Cris Brady's 6AU6 style SE input, autoformer coupled to a PP 6V6/6L6 output stage. The OP points would need to be wporked out, but it should hold its own with ALL comers.

Using Heyboer power tranies, and Electra-Print autoformer/output iron should be cost effective.

Joe

Re: Thanks for the quick reply! [message #30330 is a reply to message #30326] Sat, 29 January 2005 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I listen to my homebuilt EL 84 amp everyday. That's my main amp. It sounds good, no matter which amp I find to replace it, I end up going back to this amp. PP EL 84 SS rectified with Dyna output trans. I bought the circuit traced on a PC board, it was beautiful dual trace phenolic board. Then stuffed it and wired it into a chassis. Sounds really nice with the Pi 4's.

Previous Topic: Chassis polishing
Next Topic: 5687 heater schematic - please post
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:58:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout