Home » Audio » General » Earl Geddes chapter on Measurements now online
Re: Chapter on perception [message #2766 is a reply to message #2762] Sat, 18 February 2006 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Thats a tall request especially a) and b). Hobbiests are not going to care about references. c) I will attempt to do in my book.

Re: Chapter on perception [message #2767 is a reply to message #2765] Sat, 18 February 2006 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
No, I'm saying that all the current evidence points to there not being perceptable nonlinearity in loudspeakers. Its just not an issue. Read our latest paper in Dec AES for a test which showed that the nonlinear distortion in a high performance compression driver was inaudible even up to its thermal limit (about 124 dB in a PWT).

Most other studies by us (see AES convention Oct 2003) and Dr. Moore (see AES Nov. 2005) are pointing to the same thing.

Of course clipping is audible but thats just plan misuse and doesn't count. As long as loudspeakers are not misused nonlinear distortion appears to be irrelavent.

Now we do hear "stuff" at higher SPL's thats clear, but its not nonlinear distortion. Its a nonlinear perception in our hearing system that we interpret as nonlinear distortion.

Re: Chapter on perception [message #2770 is a reply to message #2766] Sun, 19 February 2006 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Scientifically inclined hobbyists will care, or should care about references, since that indicates that it's not just the writer's opinion but rather data based inferences espoused in a scientifically valid publication.

I didn't mean to pressure you at all and didn't mean to indicate you should do that. I just think there is a need for that, and to the extent it can be filled, it would be a good thing.

I agree with you that the typical "audiophile" will not care or will not know enough to care. But it may be a good thing to expose everyone to sound information, and let whoever wants read it.
-akhilesh

World peace would be a "good thing" too. [message #2771 is a reply to message #2770] Sun, 19 February 2006 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
nt

Re: Chapter on perception [message #2775 is a reply to message #2767] Sun, 19 February 2006 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What do you think is responsible for the difference in sound between a cheap driver and a good one? Think of a B&C 15PL100 or JBL 2226 compared to a cheap Chinese copy. Swap out the woofer in one of your speakers with the cheap Chinese woofer. They don't sound the same, even when used in a loudspeaker system with crossover that sets bandwidth the same. Even when run at a moderate 10 watts or so, you can clearly hear the difference. Response curves are about the same, no huge breakup modes, so something else causes the difference. What do you think it is?

Re: Chapter on perception [message #2776 is a reply to message #2775] Sun, 19 February 2006 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne

That question is far too wide to get into in depth. But I have found that the drivers make a whole lot less difference than the system design. We tried several different manufacturers drivers in the Summa and in blind tests they were not found to be statistically different by 16 listeners. Although the price tags were an order of magnitude different and in unblind tests the results for the more expensive drivers were astounding. Kind of like "hearing" the color of the CD.

Re: Chapter on perception [message #2777 is a reply to message #2776] Sun, 19 February 2006 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Not to be contentious, but I don't see how 16 people could have missed a cheap driver in your speakers. I'm reasonably certain we could swap in a cheap copy of the B&C midwoofer and we'd notice. Even one that was made reasonably well having the same electro-mechanical specs. I mean, I agree with you for the most part, many components are interchangeable. But the motor structure is one place where quality and engineering counts, materials geometry and configuration are important. Cheap drivers usually skimp in that area.

IDEA [message #2779 is a reply to message #2777] Sun, 19 February 2006 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Let's do a blind test on swaping drivers, and maybe digital components as well at the GPAF. WE could use hte seminar rom for it.

What do you think Wayne?
WE'll mathc the sound levels etc of course?
I'm game to help in this effort.
Let's answer this once and for all to our satisfaction.
-akhilesh

Re: World peace would be a "good thing" too. [message #2780 is a reply to message #2771] Sun, 19 February 2006 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
No really?
A Chapter on that too?
With references?

kidding, Earl.
-akhilesh

Re: IDEA [message #2781 is a reply to message #2779] Sun, 19 February 2006 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Great idea, Akhilesh. Maybe we could offer door prizes for those that accurately guessed the good parts from the cheap ones in a blind test. I think we'd give away a lot of door prizes.

I agree with Earl for the most part. I think a lot of what people percieve is psychological, especially when they expect an improvement. Sometimes, gains are much to small to be percieved, and sometimes there are no gains at all. There are lots of "tweaks" that fit this description. A guy buys an upgrade part or "mod" and puts it in, thinks he hears an improvement but measurements don't show anything. That's a case of expectations influencing perception, something that a blind test would show for what it is. Earl is saying that some things just aren't perceptible, and I am sure he's right. No surprise really.

But loudspeaker components are where I hear the most difference. If I use a good woofer with a shorting ring and replace a cheap one with a plain asymmetrical-flux ferrite structure, I can hear it right off. I can hear it as soon as I hit the door, just enter the room and I'll know, completely blind. So I know for sure I'll identify the JBL 2226 from the Chinese copy. I'd know the difference with a blindfold on from the next room over, it's that apparent. I'm pretty sure that's the case for all but the most casual listeners. Maybe some people that listen only to getto blasters and cheap car stereos might not hear a difference, but I'm pretty sure that everyone attending GPAF would be able to tell.

Previous Topic: Question for Wayne about Great Plains
Next Topic: Room treatment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 22:58:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout