Home » Audio » Speaker » Array Tweeter Selection
If you were to guess... [message #23787 is a reply to message #23783] Fri, 01 June 2007 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Muro is currently offline  Jim Muro
Esquire
"That is because you have power distributed to 8 or 9 devices so power distortion levels are very, very low vs. single driver measurements. "

If you were to make an educated guess, how many decibels down would the addition of each speaker unit(or group of 2 or 3 units) would the distortion levels go. Would you expect that for each unit the distortion would drop one decibel, so for 9 of them the level would drop 9 decibels?

Jim Muro

Re: Array Tweeter Selection [message #23788 is a reply to message #23784] Sat, 02 June 2007 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Username is currently offline  Username
Esquire
Rick:
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I had already read John’s review of the 2-way design. I came away with the feeling that John thought the success of that design was primarily due to the 2900Hz crossover point. Maybe I’m reading too much into it.

I have read all the reviews I could find on Fountek ribbon based line arrays. I know you are thoroughly familiar with several of these designs. I have not found a single negative comment about distortion or sound quality from these tweeters, only glowing reviews about their sound. I was hoping for an answer approximating “distortion from an 8 tweeter array will be {insert equation and result here} less than a single tweeter operating at the same total output level.”

It appears that my desire to easily eliminating tweeters based on distortion and cross-over points is not viable.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Array Tweeter Selection [message #23789 is a reply to message #23786] Sat, 02 June 2007 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thylantyr:
Thanks for elaborating on your original post. I will be bi-amping and using a DCX2496 for testing. I hope to upgrade to a DEQX at some point, but I will see how far I can get with the more affordable electronics.

I have no doubt that I would be astonished by the sound quality of your arrays. Your suggestion on multiple crossover frequencies based on different listening situations is quite clever. I plan to try multiple crossover configurations. It is a great idea to test them at different output levels and save the different configurations that work for different settings. You didn’t answer my question about audible distortion on the PT2B’s. I was hoping for an answer approximating “distortion is completely inaudible on low to mid level playback, but becomes slightly audible when I twist the volume knob to 11.”

I was hoping to find the perfect tweeter using objective measuring. I am going to have to take your advice and buy sample drivers and do my own listening tests. I would concur with your “progression” observation in the DIY kit market, but I still can’t tell why this is the case. I have the feeling that this narrow range of product selection is based on extensive subjective listening tests by a few experts in the array building field.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Array Tweeter Selection [message #23790 is a reply to message #23783] Sat, 02 June 2007 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Dr. Griffin:

>>"...For example you can successfully cross the Fountek Neo2.0 and A-C G3 ribbons as low as 1500 Hz in lines of 8 or 9 devices without audible distortion for home listening conditions..."

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW! I can not thank you enough for your response.

Dave

Re: Array Tweeter Selection [message #23791 is a reply to message #23788] Sat, 02 June 2007 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
With a passive crossover design the crossover point can be defined in different ways, such as acoustical or electrical. The slopes can also be asymmetrical so in some cases a "2K" point may be electrically higher (say 2.2-2.5K) for the tweeter.

The ribbons and planars do exhibit audible distortion if pushed too low or the low end response isn't properly shaped. Slopes that are too shallow can also create problems.

Re: Array Tweeter Selection [message #23792 is a reply to message #23777] Sat, 09 June 2007 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny Richie is currently offline  Danny Richie
Baron
I have designed quite a few line arrays and for me the solution was to have a custom planar magnetic tweeter built just for the line source application.

Re: Array Tweeter Selection [message #23831 is a reply to message #23777] Sat, 16 June 2007 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahax is currently offline  hahax
Esquire
The Pipedreams speakers used dome tweeters and crossed over way above 2 khz and worked quite well.

Re: Array Tweeter Selection [message #23835 is a reply to message #23779] Tue, 26 June 2007 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steven Homrighausen is currently offline  Steven Homrighausen
Chancellor
Lets assume a 65" tweeter line. [one channel]

1. Eight PT2 = ~ $200
2. Eightteen BG Neo3 = ~ $700
3. Eight Fountek NeoCD2.0 = ~$950

------------------------------------

If you call Madisound and order 16 of the NeoCD2.0, you should be able to get them for about $95 each (x 8) = $760 per side.

Re: Array Tweeter Selection [message #23841 is a reply to message #23788] Fri, 29 June 2007 09:39 Go to previous message
Steven Homrighausen is currently offline  Steven Homrighausen
Chancellor
“distortion from an 8 tweeter array will be {insert equation and result here} less than a single tweeter operating at the same total output level.”

-------------------------------------------------------------

I've been trying to figure this out as well. I think that cone/dome drivers in an array would have the distortion drop for two reasons - the sensitivity of the array increased (from multiple drivers) and the reduced drive signal going to each driver.

For the sensitivity portion:
- one driver = (X)dB of distortion (pick whatever harmonic you'd like).
- two drivers = (X-3)dB of distortion (two drivers are 3dB more efficient, so they need to be driven with 3dB less signal to achieve the same level
- four drivers = (X-6)dB of distortion
- eight drivers = (X-9)dB of distortion
- nine drivers = (X-9.5)dB of distortion
- twelve drivers = (X-10.8)dB of distortion
- sixteen drivers = (X-12)dB of distortion

With a ribbon array, you would have the reduced signal going to each individual ribbon, but the array sensitivity remains the same as one driver.

If you have an array of cone/dome drivers, you have the benefit of reduced signal PLUS the sensitivity increase.

I know that distortion increases as drive level increases (and not linearly). This makes me think that you have an increasing benefit as you continue to add drivers to an array.

Can someone help me work through this theory?

Previous Topic: 2 or 3 way line array
Next Topic: DCA4 damage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 06:47:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout