Home » Audio » Speaker » FR Measurments of Line Arrays
Re: Most of the discussion centers [message #22692 is a reply to message #22690] Tue, 28 June 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This discussion is whether the measured response of a single driver should be used for crossover calculations of an array. Earl answered that it should not, which I believe was probably a good response. I think Jim would have said the same thing. The geometry of the array is critical, because there are transition frequencies set by the positions of the drivers.

At very low frequencies, where all drivers are within 1/4 wavelength of each other, an array acts as a point source. At medium frequencies, each pair of drivers is within 1/4 wavelength, but the ends are further. The array becomes directional at this point. And at high frequencies, each driver is further than 1/4 wavelength, and complex comb filtering results in dense interference. Through each transistion, the frequency response and directivity will be affected and the system will act differently in each of these frequency ranges. A single driver just has collapsing DI and that's it.

Honestly, I think you, Jim and Earl are probably all on the same page here, but semantics and maybe lack of specifics cloud the discussion.

Re: Troll? maybe not! [message #22693 is a reply to message #22691] Tue, 28 June 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Earl sometimes writes in a manner that looks tactless, but that's just his style. He might say he simply doesn't mince words.

If an array is used above the frequency where driver spacing is greater than 1/4 wavelength, dense interference results. Jim Griffin would agree that sucks. So specificity is required in any discussion like this.

One thing is for sure, and that is a single driver measurement is not sufficient to develop a crossover for an array. Array geometry information is required.

Re: Most of the discussion centers [message #22694 is a reply to message #22692] Tue, 28 June 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric J is currently offline  Eric J
Viscount
When you say very low frequencies, what frequencies do you consider "very low".

Using Dr. Griffin's white paper, I've been careful to watch the side of the speakers, their closeness, and the appropriate crossover frequency. Its not all that hard, even for a fella who has taken any math since 1965. Additionally, I'm of the belief that the critical mid range area of 300-3000 should remain as un bombed out by cross-overs as possible. This also figures into my "calculations".

My array crossed over to a sub woofer electronically at 24 db slope at about 80 hz.

What I appreciate with Dr. Griffin, is that he takes the time from his busy university schedule to explain things to non-technical people so we can build better speakers.
I enjoy this discussion, but I often wish that people would not autmatically assume that everyone here is an audio engineer.

thanks,

eric j.

MODERATION IS MORE THAN READING POSTS [message #22695 is a reply to message #22693] Tue, 28 June 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Wayne,

My mother in law claims that she has a right to say what the things she means. The reality is that she just says mean things.

Nobody has a right to be a troll and then claim that its just their way (I know you said that and Earl did not.) I'm getting tired of people who take their belief that its their rightful place: on email lists, on message boards, on the highways, etc. Last night at Borders book shop there was some lady who stepped in the front of a line of fifteen people who had patiently waited. Nobody even pointed the end of the line to her. They just "took it" from her.

No one has a right to be tactless to others, and excuse it by calling it "their style". On message boards, this is how flame wars start, and its how moderators can limit conversation to a select few of the elite, and exclude conversation from everyone else.

And don't tell me I don't know. I spend too much time moderating and encouraging a message board with more than a 1000 participants, in another field altogether. I've had to tell or remove posts from people who are quite famous and clearly giants in the field because they made tactless comments, that caused people to leave the message board because of them.

eric j

Re: Most of the discussion centers [message #22696 is a reply to message #22694] Tue, 28 June 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you about speaking to your audience, no matter what you are discussing. So I appreciate Jim's ability to describe a technical subject in non-technical terms.

I mentioned three frequency ranges where arrays act differently. One is very low frequencies, where all drivers in the array are within 1/4 wavelength of each other. The next is where adjacent drivers are within 1/4 wavelength, but the array length is greater than 1/4 wavelength. And then the next is when each driver is further than 1/4 wavelength from each other.

There are also room interactions. The floor acts as a reflector, so your lowest driver acts like there is one below it, twice the distance to the floor. The whole array is mirrored that way. The array's directionality at high frequencies tends to mitigate this, but as frequency goes down, it becomes more apparent. And if the array is positioned too close to a side wall, that will reflect it too, acting like a horizontal array.

Re: MODERATION IS MORE THAN READING POSTS [message #22697 is a reply to message #22695] Tue, 28 June 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you completely. No one wants a bully, and it isn't tolerated on ART. This messageboard is for beginners and experts alike. I personally don't like it when a person is made to feel stupid and so they don't participate. Mob rule is no way to run a place like this, at least not in my opinion.

I'm not the moderator of the Array forum, but I do have the same concerns as you. I share your sentiments, 100%. That's really why I jumped in here. I was just hoping to help out a bit.

Thanks for your help [message #22698 is a reply to message #22697] Tue, 28 June 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Well, Then I must thank you for sharing and assisting with the posts. I hope Dr. G reads it, and can share a set of reasons which allows and encourages discussion.

Thanks again,

eric j.

Thats why I post rarely [message #22712 is a reply to message #22697] Fri, 01 July 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adavis464 is currently offline  adavis464
Viscount
I'm not an expert but I'm not a beginner.I use these forms to look to see if there are a group of people that are thinking what I am as far as design.Then ask a question for help in that area.Most of the time one answers (the question must be below them)or you get berated for being an (Moron!).The doctor is trying to sell a book but if he's going to take the time answer a post answer it or don't post BECAUSE THATS TROLLING Regards Tim P.S.Try sharing we all play better that way

Re: Thats why I post rarely [message #22713 is a reply to message #22712] Fri, 01 July 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I personally didn't think Earl was pushing his book. He made mention of his book because there is a chapter on arrays, but he didn't post a link. I'm the one that did that.

Re: FR Measurments of Line Arrays [message #22717 is a reply to message #22672] Thu, 07 July 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
The multiple drivers in an array will behave differently than they would in a point source design. Typically the woofers will need a lower crossover point which is why I prefer using a ribbon that will cross in the 1-2K area. This is true even for the 5-5.5" drivers and in some cases the upper end response of a 7" woofer is as good or better than the smaller drivers. I have some ideas as to why this happens but the C-T-C theory tells us the opposite that the smaller drivers should behave better.

While I have a great amount of respect for Earl I think there's still quite a bit that's not fully understood about the performance of line arrays in a typical home listening environment. Most of the original theory was based on large venues and until Jim Griffin did his paper there was very little information for home audio applications. I've found what things work best after building several arrays and my advice would be to measure,listen,measure,listen...

Rick

Previous Topic: tweeter horns in the line array?
Next Topic: Opinion on the Fe127e
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:55:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout