Home » Audio » Speaker » Stephens Trusonic 80FR Cabinet Help Required!
Every design has strengths & weaknesses [message #20124 is a reply to message #20122] Thu, 24 June 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI MArtin,
Yes, this is a fundamental question: what is a full range driver setup?
WE have discussed this below in many threads as well.

My experiences thus far tell me that each design has strengths & weaknesses. For example: a good PURe single driver setup (with no passive networks & no other drivers) has a purity and simplicity and coherence that is hard to match...even one uses cheap drivers like the Fostex FE206E. On the other hand, one will lose frequency extension and flatness. A 2 or 3 driver setup with minimal passive networks can take care of these problems (as i have done in my trusonic + tweeter + BSC setup) but at the expense of some of that coherence and imaging.

I think we have to look at the driver & decide...for example i have read about (but never heard) of mongo rear loaded horn cabinet designs for Lowthers that claim to give great coherence, decent imaging and good frequency extension (flatness may not be that good with Lowthers). In the case of the trusonic 80FR, it is clearly not great for a PURe single driver setup, however, it does pretty well with a tweeter and a BSC.
-akhilesh

Re: Herd Mentality [message #20125 is a reply to message #20123] Thu, 24 June 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I agree, Wayne! Of course, assuming well executed designs, they should all give the same illusion, right? One of total fidelity?
SO there may be many paths, but one goal (the illusion of high fidelity).

A great push-pull design with great parts & workmanship will obviously beat the pants off a poor ly executed, or ill thought of SET design...and vice versa. The same logic can be extended to any component choice: for example horn loaded drivers versus BR versus sealed box. I tend to view these as means to an end: high fidelity. Often times, the means becoems the end...which is unfortunate. I have seen this in other pursuits as well.People tend to favor one "means" over another.
-akhilesh

Re: Herd Mentality [message #20126 is a reply to message #20125] Thu, 24 June 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yes, you're right. I should introduce you to Monte Vogt sometime. A friend of mine for decades, he graduated from Tulsa University with a mechanical engineering degree. He's the best I know of for car and automobile customization, knows engines and the rest of the vehicle completely.

The reason I bring Monte up here is that he has no brand bias. It's all the same stuff mushed into different shapes is pretty much his view. I've seen him build wheel-standing 351 Cleveland Fords, and big-blocks and small blocks of every brand. Vettes have been his latest flavor, but he's pretty much done 'em all, including Porsche's and riceburners. He and I built the Olds motor in my Cutlass, and we have even built a few Wankle engines together. Lots of fun in lots of cultures.

Re: Herd Mentality [message #20127 is a reply to message #20123] Thu, 24 June 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Wayne,

You wrote :

"All designs have strengths and weaknesses, as I'm sure you'll agree. Horns are great at some things, but they have very definite weaknesses that must be addressed and designed around. So it was odd for me to find that some horn enthusiasts had become as prone to irrational fixation as the older acoustic suspension fans had been. I guess I see this kind of thinking as unsophisticated and uninformed."

I agree completely. What I find to be most amazing is reading a post where the writer is asking for help to solve some obvious deficiency they have found in their finished "purist" system. The most common problem I see being discussed is a lack of bass output and a shouting midrange from some full range driver system.

In my opinion, this is almost always caused by a baffle step problem and/or mating a low Qts driver to a TL, BR, or poorly designed back loaded horn enclosure. It is never going to work well no matter where the speaker is placed in the room.

A generally accepted solution is to put a foam strip between the whizzer cone and the main cone, this seems a bit hit or miss without any real adjustability. Essentially this is damping the midrange response from the whizzer cone and killing the shout and probably a whole lot more. I have also seen recommendations to paint different substances onto the cone, this seems kind of irreversible and risky with an expensive driver. But both are generally acceptable in the cult of the purists.

The other thing that is generally recommended is to add a subwoofer. What I find most amazing about this recommendation is the following question. Why would you go to all of the trouble to build a complex and large back loaded horn if you are going to go ahead and add a subwoofer for the bass response? Makes no sense but it is again acceptable to the cult of the purists. Build a simple closed box tuned to 100 Hz and then add the sub! A crossover in this frequency range is acceptable to the cult of the purists.

So finally we turn to the taboo, adding a filter. The filter will rebalance the SPL response without any loose of detail. It will fix the slight phase problem associated with the baffle step region. It is completely adjustable and removable so it will fit almost any situation. To me is seems like a very obvious tweak. But it is not pure and we know that no matter how weak the bass, or shouty the midrange, it is better sounding then the filtered sound would ever be. So say the cult of the purists.

But I do see progress in the cult. I see people adding resistance to their systems by using special wires and other tricks while claiming it as a new approach. Boy I am glad this is not adding a filter so we don't loose anything!

I am also glad I am not a member of the cult of the purists or any other herd. Well, I guess I am a member of the cult of the refuse to conform and shut-up. I listen to my system and like the way it sounds, so do other people who visit and listen with me. OK bass and no shouting midrange.

Martin (of the unwashed)

Re: Herd Mentality [message #20128 is a reply to message #20127] Thu, 24 June 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I agree with you completely, Martin.

I've seen a couple single-driver speakers that sounded quite nice being just a speaker in a box. It's pleasant to listen to them, so I'm all for that. But if a speaker isn't really suited for this, as most aren't, then other solutions might be sought.

I'm in full agreement with you on what solutions I'd explore and what ones I'd probably avoid. I'm not saying that I'm against folks that do it differently than I would. But I am saying that the solutions I've seen you propose are generally the same direction I'd go too.

Wayne

Re: Herd Mentality [message #20129 is a reply to message #20126] Thu, 24 June 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hey... i'd love to meet him sometime.
-akhilesh

Re: Stephens Trusonic 80FR Cabinet Help Required! [message #20272 is a reply to message #20108] Sun, 08 August 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arnold is currently offline  Arnold
Esquire
I have a pair of 80FR's factory mounted in approx. 1 cubic sealed corner cabinets that were used as the satilites of a factory 3 piece system with a 15" woofer as the Low end driver. By themselves the have no low end and they realy need to be used as a 2-way system, but their mid-range is clear and sweet with a touch of warmth.
I plan on adding coaxial mounted tweeters and try them with a sub-woofer. They were available from the factory as a 2-way with a coaxial mounted bullet horn tweeter.
AS

Re: Stephens Trusonic 80FR Cabinet Help Required! [message #20273 is a reply to message #20272] Sun, 08 August 2004 20:35 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That should work well! Do let us know how it worked. When you post how it worked, it may make sense to post a new thread, so everyone sees it.
good luck!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: pa drivers
Next Topic: Manger Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 20:39:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers