Home » Audio » Speaker » Any good suggestions for subwoofers with full ranges?
Re: Any good suggestions for subwoofers with full ranges? [message #19655 is a reply to message #19650] Tue, 23 December 2003 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
One possible low cost option for a open baffle sub is to use a corner of the room and mount a tall board sealed to the corner of the corner of the room. The width of the baffle board must be wide enough to fit the woofer. This would provide an open baffle of very large proportions plus additional reinforcement of the corner loading.

If the baffle were sealed to the floor and ceiling and at least 4 x Vas of the driver in internal volume provided you'd have an infinite baffle design with the same corner loading.

Either of these designs could be duplicated on both front wall corners or multiple drivers could be mounted on the same baffle.

Re: Any good suggestions for subwoofers with full ranges? [message #19658 is a reply to message #19655] Tue, 23 December 2003 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Jeff, I placed my OB subs in the corner about a week ago. Bass is even better now then it was. Needs almost no eq at all.

Dave

Re: Any good suggestions for subwoofers with full ranges? [message #19659 is a reply to message #19637] Wed, 24 December 2003 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
A high efficiency single driver speaker system combined with a good active cross-over (to your subwoofer), will always result in less amplifier distortion in the over-all sound. Amplifiers often struggle with low frequencies, so helping out the amps makes sense. I've had great results in my system by using a cross over/bass equalizer - Audio Control Richter Scale X-over/Bass Equalizer.

I have a pair. [message #19663 is a reply to message #19637] Fri, 26 December 2003 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTFsr is currently offline  GTFsr
Esquire
I have a pair of Caroline Audio JTM's and use a pair of transmission line subs with them. The are large and unfinshed using Peerless 850146 CSX drivers and a simple crossover. This combination sounds wonderfull.
Because they are unfinshed the wife doesn't like them so I ordered a pair of Ronnie's 7" Jordan transmission line subs.
To bad they are so heavy or I would sell them cheaply.

GTF

Re:What about closing up the port? [message #19665 is a reply to message #19637] Sat, 27 December 2003 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've got the Titanic 12 in a 4 cu ft vented box which is great for HT and sometimes good and other times not so good on music. I really believe the recording is more crucial than the box but want to try sealed. What is the best way to close the port temporarily?

And what causes those below 40 Hz booms and thuds that obviously aren't a part of the music. Receiver? Plate amp? Stupid recording engineer?

Re: Any good suggestions for subwoofers with full ranges? [message #19689 is a reply to message #19659] Wed, 07 January 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I have 2 questions seeker:
1. Do you think the active crossover may have some phase effects, which presumably taking all output (incl bass) from one amp and then attenuating it and reamplifiying won;t,
2. Could you give us the website of teh x0ver/bass equalizer and give us some more detail on what you did (in terms of steps, etcc).
thanx!
-akhilesh

What I'm doing... [message #19691 is a reply to message #19637] Wed, 14 January 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
For the home theatre room, I'm running a McCormack DNA-1 amp and, because of the small footprint required, a pair of Definitive Technology BP-2000's. That's really set up for the grandchildren.

But in *my* music room, I run SET's and have a pair of Lowther PM6A's with 40" front horns. I like the clarity of the Lowthers and the bass is, as a friend put it, credible. But I have found that many people overlook the quality of the bass in an audiophile system and just go for a sub with quality something like the BP's, which I think messes up a high-end system.

So I'm building a pair of Pi Seven cornerhorns without tweeters as the bass boxes. My personal taste at this point in time is SET, and I don't like anything between the amp and the driver. So I am putting together a biamped system. One amp to the Lowthers, the other amp to the bass box.

Such a setup requires lots of real estate, as the Pi's are huge and are too tall to act as bases for the 40" horns. The horns are on tripods (speaker stands), and thus can be moved for best sound.

Hope this helps.

Len

Re: What I'm doing... [message #19817 is a reply to message #19691] Wed, 25 February 2004 21:20 Go to previous message
Phil Wilson is currently offline  Phil Wilson
Chancellor
This sounds super-cool. Any pictures?

Previous Topic: Definition of Frequency Ranges
Next Topic: Questions on Sub
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 22:16:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio