Home » Audio » Speaker » ?Horn Questions?
Re: Pattern control and mouth size [message #19096 is a reply to message #19093] Sat, 10 February 2007 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
Oh yeah, I do remember the Renkus-Heinz CoEntrant, and how it fascinated me at the time! It reminds me of a design I encountered at www.burton-manor.co.uk/Audio/HLCA.htm. Fun and interesting stuff!

Even the 1/3 WL spacing center-to-center is a tall order given the mouth sizes of most midbass/midrange horns with a single driver (assuming they're being tightly arrayed). With baffle-mounted cones in a vertical array, I'd need a stack of differing diameters to cover the ranges up to the typical 1" horn/driver combo. This challenges one of my goals for each design: a 3-way active system (triamp with active x-over/processing). As my design ideas are aimed toward live sound reinforcement, I will likely see how often and to what extent I can "cheat" the C-to-C coupling guidelines, with as little compromise to sound quality as possible. In many live applications, the listeners are farther away from the audio source than with a home system, meaning more room to squirm for the live audio designer!

Re: Pattern control and mouth size [message #19097 is a reply to message #19096] Sun, 11 February 2007 13:40 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't think center-to-center spacing will be as much an issue when splayed, either vertically or horizontally. In the range where each of the horns have pattern control, overlapping fields would be more of an issue. The tight pack array, for example, has drivers physically close, with the apex of adjacent horns right next to one another. The wall angles are splayed, and adjacent walls nearly touch. This makes the pair of horns act similarly to a single radial sectional horn.

In the case of crossover between horns that cover different bands, the region of interest is the overlap region. If the spacing between sound sources is within 1/4λ through the overlap region, then the two sources will act as a single sound source.

In any event, if sound sources are too numerous to allow for tight pack spacing, then the next choice is dense interference. There are merits in this approach, as it smooths the sound field even though spacing is further than 1/4λ, and often times further than 1λ. Another thing that results from this approach is it tends to smooth out the nulls that result from reflections in the environment.

Previous Topic: ?Horn Questions?
Next Topic: North Creek 13W Driver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:14:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout