Home » Audio » Speaker » The Subwoofer thing
Re: Henry Kloss [message #18638 is a reply to message #18608] Thu, 02 March 2006 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
The Advent went to 42 Hz, plenty low enough for music. But he might have been anticipating HT, he was the one who came out with projection TV after all.

Re: The Subwoofer thing [message #18645 is a reply to message #18599] Sun, 19 March 2006 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
I think that you may be missing the point. It is important to know what the best approach is so that we can move in that direction no matter how far to that extreme we go.

As far as multiple subs go, I would never buy several expensive subs. But I would say, based on the work that I have done and my own experience, that I would much rather have several cheap subs than one expensive one. For a long time I used three $100 subs - worked very well. I did get an improvement by upgrading the subs quality, but it was not a tremendous improvement, noticable, but nothing earth shatering. The biggest improvement comes from the second sub with a little more from the third and diminishing returns from there.

When multiple subs are used each sub need not be all that high performance. In fact I use smaller 12" divers to make the subs smaller, and lower power amps. Judicious choice of RANDOM locations can make them virtually invisible in almost any room, so I don't think that your appearance issue is really a concern. In my theater only one sub is visible all the rest are invisible. The surround speakers are far more obvious than the subs.

And you don't have to be a "rich audiophile" to get the very best sound. But you do have to be willing to make the sound a priority and do things right. In fact, it's not all that expensive to do things right, it's usually cheaper, it's just not what many people want to do. Sound really isn't the highest priority.

For example spending large sums on electronics is a waste of money, but then when you do spend all that money the last thing that you want to do is hide it. I buy the lowest cost electronics and hide it - spend the money where it counts - on the speakers and the room.

Re: The Subwoofer thing [message #18652 is a reply to message #18599] Tue, 21 March 2006 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check out the post in the Studio Room forum called "Computer Simulation of Room Acoustics."

Re: The Subwoofer thing [message #18655 is a reply to message #18645] Thu, 23 March 2006 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sorry; I just realised this reply was here from Feb. I agree with your point regarding defining the best approach and movingm towards that application. You know it's very hard to reach a consensus regarding issues of sound and for what reason I have no idea.
If the proper approach to integrating subs with existing equipment is so nebulous a concept that it basically comes down to trial and error; who decides what is the error? It certainly isn't sound quality because no one can even agree what constitutes acceptable sound quality.
I have heard a dozen or so subs implemented but not one was bearable to listen too. How to explain that?

Not efficient [message #18659 is a reply to message #18602] Tue, 28 March 2006 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
"So I have to ask? If you're designing home audio speakers, and not using planar or ribbon drivers, why wouldn't you include an F3 of 32Hz in every speaker you make?"

Its not practical to get every speaker in a two or three channel setup to go that last octave. I use a 15" for its high efficiency and directivity not for its LF capability, although that is a plus. But a cabinet to 25-30 Hz for a large high efficiency woofer is not practical.

But it is practical to design a sub using a smaller woofer in a bandpass design that goes down to 25 Hz. It has a 25-50 Hz capability, matches up ideally to the closed box 50 Hz Summas, and has enough output over this very small bandwidth to keep up with the high efficiency woofers in the main channels. It probably does have a lower MAX_SPL but it will still do 110 dB SPL in a small room at 35 Hz. Total volume of this approach is far below that of making each source go down to 25 Hz.

Speaker placement [message #18660 is a reply to message #18659] Tue, 28 March 2006 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Speaking to the placement issue, how do you deal with the fact that bass and low mids in the modal region are coming from mains? I assume you suggest symmetrical placement for the mains, and probably you place them where they work best in the range above the modal region. Wouldn't this be less than ideal for bass and lower mids?

I know it's a loaded question and that there are trade-offs to consider in every decision. But you must agree that since the mains carry so much bass, their placement and the perfomance that results is is an important aspect, maybe even more so than the subs. In your proposed configuration, the most troublesome room modes for most people will fall in frequency ranges covered by the mains, not the subs. Would you place midbass cabinets randomly around the room, same as you suggest for subs?

Re: Speaker placement [message #18661 is a reply to message #18660] Tue, 28 March 2006 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Your loose usage of terminology makes answering your question difficult. Define Bass and low mids either in terms of frequency ranges or relative to the modal region.

The mains must be placed at the best non-modal location relative to the room boundaries for the best direct field response, i.e. best image. This may or may not result in the best locations for the LF modal region frequencies. To this I add two smaller subs - one above the mid line of the room and another as far away from the mains as possible. These subs cover 35-120 Hz yielding about five speakers (center channel if used) at near random loactions covering the range from about 35 Hz and up. So where the mains are placed is basically irrelavent for the LF modal issues. I now add a single VLF sub to cover the 25-50 Hz region that the Summas can't reach. So only the frequencies from 25-35 Hz are not covered by several drivers, but at these frequencies the wavelengths are so long that it isn't possible to get multiple uncorrelated drivers anyways. This configuration yields the best LF response that I have ever obtained in a small room.

So basically the room has 1 source 25-35 Hz, three sources 35-50 Hz, and four or five sources 50-120 Hz. Sure it would be great to have 5 sources 25-120 Hz, but thats not feasible. What I have is not only feasible and low cost but only one of these sources is even visible.

Re: Speaker placement [message #18662 is a reply to message #18661] Tue, 28 March 2006 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I spoke of the modal region, which is basically the range below 200Hz. I also described this as bass and low midrange, which I think is reasonable.

Best imaging comes from speakers that are placed symmetrically, as I'm sure you'd agree. But you've suggested running your mains down to 50Hz, so two octaves of the modal range are covered by them and only one octave by the subs. Since you prefer the modal range to be covered with speakers that are placed asymmetrically, how do you deal with that? After all, the worst modes in most average listening rooms are above 50Hz.

Re: Speaker placement [message #18663 is a reply to message #18662] Tue, 28 March 2006 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Well I would define things differently.

The modal region in my room is only up to about 100 Hz. 120 Hz max., most definately not 200 Hz. I would define Bass as anything in the modal region and "mid" as anything from the bass to about 500 - 1 kHz where our hearing perception starts to change. So to me, only bass is a modal concern. And, as usual, you don't appear to have read my response. Since I have five sources in the bass region above 50 Hz, its pretty much irrelavent where they are put. You are confusing what I claim. With enough subs, placement doesn't matter, symmetrical, asymmetrical, whatever, the differences are negligable. But for a finite number of four or less, placement is a factor and non-symmetrical is better. That doesn't mean that each and every source must be randommly placed only that a tendency for a random placement will tend to yield a better LF response. Categorizing everything I say into absolutes is not the way to an understanding of my position. Its not that black and white.

So if two sources are forced into symetrical locations then put the others at random locations NOT more symmetrical ones. Its not that complicated is it?

Re: Speaker placement [message #18665 is a reply to message #18663] Tue, 28 March 2006 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I understand now that you are really talking about three different kinds of woofers. One kind is used as woofers in the mains, which are to be symmetrically placed. Another is a VLF sub, used to augment the extreme bottom end, rolled off where the mains come online. And a third kind of woofer is placed randomly, covering a range of midbass, overlapping the mains and designed to smooth room modes.

Perhaps randomly placed midbass drivers will smooth the sound field in the midbass, up to 120Hz. It's a reasonable suggestion. Then again, your proposed configuration is relatively complex with several woofers and crossover points. I also think having multiple distant and randomly placed sound sources run up through the upper bass to lower midrange might yield another set of problems. That's getting into the audio range where vocals, piano, guitar, cello, trombone and other wind and string instruments begin.

I suggest that we study various speaker placements in CARA to see the energy distribution through the room for each configuration.
Previous Topic: BEYMA TPL 150
Next Topic: Hi-Fi/Studio Quality Earbuds
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:29:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout