Home » Audio » Speaker » And now for something completely different ......
Re: And now for something completely different ...... [message #18508 is a reply to message #18503] Sun, 29 January 2006 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sounds cool, Martin!

So you think you will stay with the single driver design, or go with the OB in the long term?

-akhilesh

Re:Also look at these drivers [message #18509 is a reply to message #18507] Mon, 30 January 2006 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
B&C 15"

Badder B&C

I love Italian race cars, wine and Osso Buco! So I'm very interested to hear the 294-673 B&C vs. my 2226. They should have more low output. Question is whether it will be as clear as the JBL.

Re:"...2 down and one to go, Dorothy Kilgallen..." [message #18510 is a reply to message #18496] Mon, 30 January 2006 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Now that's showing your age!

Re: LF driver [message #18514 is a reply to message #18507] Mon, 30 January 2006 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
One of my design goals was to put the Lowthers at ear level, or very close, so this dictated part of the FR-W-W (full range-woofer-woofer) arrangement. The Lowther plays from 100Hz to 200 Hz and up depending on the xover frequency setting selected. At these low frequencies, I did not calculate any significant interference pattern from the crossover between the woofers and the Lowther. So I guess I am not sure what I would gain from a W-FR-W alignment of the drivers. I can see an even bigger baffle for a W-FR-W if I maintained the height position of the Lowther.

Martin

Re:Also look at these drivers [message #18515 is a reply to message #18509] Mon, 30 January 2006 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
"Question is whether it will be as clear as the JBL."

If you are only using the woofers up to a maximum of 200 Hz, do you think that clarity will be an issue? When I turn of the amp for the Lowthers and just listen to the bottom end there is not that much "music" output other then the very low bass lines.

Martin

Re:"...2 down and one to go, Dorothy Kilgallen..." [message #18516 is a reply to message #18510] Mon, 30 January 2006 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I have never heard that line .... I guess I am still young!

Martin

Re: And now for something completely different ...... [message #18517 is a reply to message #18508] Mon, 30 January 2006 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I am definitely going to work on them for a while. I still want to design and build a BLH for my Lowthers so a comparison between different styles of enclosures is in the works. They will be in the main system for a while but there are so many other things to try. One other option would be a coaxial driver now that I have the amps and crossover working together.

Martin

50Hz - 200Hz [message #18518 is a reply to message #18515] Mon, 30 January 2006 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's reasonable. But there are a couple of octaves there that are really important for vocal and midbass clarity. I meant to make mention of this in my reply to you the other day, but got busy and just clicked the post button.

Midbass punch and vocal clarity is one of the things I listen for. Distortion in the 50Hz to 200Hz range tends to manifest itself as deep vocal heaviness, since it increases output in the range from 100Hz to just under 1kHz - right where the vocals are. Most of what's played on piano is there, and really, so are the fundamentals of most instruments. So even when a woofer is crossed over at 200Hz, I think that makes it responsible for an important part of the audio spectrum and not just the bass foundation.

I haven't listened to the Dayton woofers, they may really sound good. Maybe their distortion levels are very low. Even if they generate a little more distortion, that may make vocals "warm" sounding. I don't mean to voice an opinion on what drivers are better or worse, just that I can really hear the difference when an improvement is made in the audio range the woofers are covering.

Re:Monty Python! [message #18519 is a reply to message #18496] Mon, 30 January 2006 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The Pirahna Brothers. Headquartered in the MInistry of Silly Walks.
"But this Parrots not dead; he's only sleeping."

Re:Monty Python! [message #18520 is a reply to message #18519] Mon, 30 January 2006 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Love the ministry of silly walks.

Previous Topic: Vintage speakers vs. modern
Next Topic: magnets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 01:46:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio