Home » Audio » Speaker » Anyone Familiar with the Onken Cabinet Alignment?
Re: Anyone Familiar with the Onken Cabinet Alignment? [message #18240 is a reply to message #18239] Sat, 05 November 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Does the 515b work well tuned that low? I always read it was not particularly suited to sub-frequency use.
Man thats a big cab!

Re: Anyone Familiar with the Onken Cabinet Alignment? [message #18241 is a reply to message #18240] Sat, 05 November 2005 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

With a measured 20 Hz Fs/~0.2 Qts, all it lacks is some room/boundary gain and excursion, which is supplied by the extra driver/channel and a couple of corners. Four corner loaded 515Bs do a pretty good job of mimicing a basshorn until you want to start busting drywall seams. Anyway, the system does ~111 dB/16 Hz/200W in-room before thermal power compression sets in, or about what a single driver room sized folded horn will theoretically do at ~2W. My house is a flimsy stick built one with a floating floor though, so they could do at least another 6 dB in a concrete foundation brick n' mortar built one.

WRT its low Qt rising response, this can be either active and/or passively EQ'd. Mine are EQ'd ~flat 20-20 kHz and still close to 100 dB system eff. above ~40 Hz. Not going to compete with the 'big boys', but good enough for my well abused ears.

WRT size, I grew up around huge mono consoles, 7-8 ft^3 end table speakers and 3-5 ft^3 'bookshelf' speakers, so 20 ft^3 seems right reasonable to me for a corner loaded app, especially since they use to be 30 ft^3 before I cut them down. This is the price you pay for having eff. and wide BW.

GM

Re: Anyone Familiar with the Onken Cabinet Alignment? [message #18242 is a reply to message #18241] Sun, 06 November 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Nice thread; thanks much becuase I like the hazy and out of focus recollections of those old consol Fishers and Scott amps built into wall units with big Bozak Moorish designed cabinets lining the wall's.
Those really were the days.
Good info; What do you drive the high end with if I may ask?

Re: Anyone Familiar with the Onken Cabinet Alignment? [message #18243 is a reply to message #18242] Sun, 06 November 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Greets!

You're welcome! Yeah, a pair of Concert Grands is quite an auditory experience! I use to 'clone' their tweeter 'horn' concept using recycled radio/TV drivers to make large 'el cheapo' ~100 Hz 'multicells'.

Its faceplate says Sony TA3200F (early '70s), but according to a service tech it isn't one under the cover, so we assume it's a Japan spec version that he didn't have data on. All I know for sure is that it's a very low -fb/distortion/noise floor, ultra wide BW 120W/8 ohm class A-B SS amp that I prefer over any other amp I've used.

GM

Re: Anyone Familiar with the Onken Cabinet Alignment? [message #18244 is a reply to message #18243] Sun, 06 November 2005 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have a Luxman M-120 I am partial too. It's from that era also. I wrote a post one time describing all the console equipment that used to appear at the curb on garbage night around the mid-seventies. Who knows what went into the scrapper back then.

Re: Anyone Familiar with the Onken Cabinet Alignment? [message #18279 is a reply to message #18233] Wed, 16 November 2005 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MINGSU is currently offline  MINGSU
Esquire
Hi GM,

Can you help to design an Onken cabinet for a 15" SG38WNS GOTO driver?

Thanks,

Ming

Re: Anyone Familiar with the Onken Cabinet Alignment? [message #18280 is a reply to message #18279] Thu, 17 November 2005 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Greets!

If you have T/S specs, and I need to know your amp's output impedance (not tap rating) if tube.

GM

Re: Anyone Familiar with the Onken Cabinet Alignment? [message #18281 is a reply to message #18280] Thu, 17 November 2005 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
My SET amp has 8 ohm tap. It is Audio Note amp but I don't know the output impedence. I might find a SS amp to drive the bass with 200Hz crossover.
The 15" bass driver information as follow: FR=28-800Hz, 16 ohm, Fs=28Hz, Qts=0.25, 99dB/w/m, Max input power=40W, 18,000 Gauss.

Thanks,

Ming
mingsu@yahoo.com

Re: Anyone Familiar with the Onken Cabinet Alignment? [message #18282 is a reply to message #18281] Thu, 17 November 2005 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Greets!

Without knowing either the damping factor or output impedance of the amp, I can use a 'worst case scenario' of 4 ohms and the cab may be too big, which can be offset by damping the ports some, but without the driver's 'Vas' spec I could be so far off that you would have to stick an Altec or other known high Vas driver in it to make it work well. If it's more like a JBL or similar and it makes the cab way too small, then you wind up with a high Q midbass box with no LF output to speak of. For example, using an Altec 'worst case' Vas, the basic cab's volume (Vb) could be almost 23 ft^3, but with a JBL's low Vas, as little as ~6.2 ft^3.

So can you find out its Vas spec, or feeling lucky and want to pick a number? I also need the VC's DC resistance (Re) to figure the effect of the amp's output impedance on Qts.

GM

Re: Anyone Familiar with the Onken Cabinet Alignment? [message #18283 is a reply to message #18282] Thu, 17 November 2005 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Esquire
I will try to get those spec. I do know the driver is the GOTO SG38WNS from Japan.

Thanks,

Ming

Previous Topic: Needed power to drive Jordan JX92S TL's
Next Topic: RE: mounting woofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 19:48:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers