Home » Audio » Speaker » Help w/New Project
Re: Help w/New Project [message #18201 is a reply to message #18199] Fri, 28 October 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
As far as changes to Wayne's designs you would need to discuss that with him. The new Two Pi's use the Vifa 25 tweeter which is a nice smooth tweeter. Not a huge amount of definition but eminently listenable.
However you did specify reference quality in your original post. Thats a whole new ball of wax. If you liked the Thermionic Pi's then you will like the Pi 2's and they are efficient and have a much narrower footprint but they are pretty tall.
My take on Pi's is that they are the best bargain in audio; but reference quality means something else to me; something that you won't get for the asking price of a Pi speaker. You will get 90% of it though for next to nothing. Considering that Spendor SP 100's cost 4500$ or Maybe the Pi top of the line would do but they are up there also.

Re: Help w/New Project [message #18202 is a reply to message #18191] Fri, 28 October 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Steve,
I just finished an Altec based project. I have a large living room too. My wife actually likes the system, and it has a large sound stage, good imaging, and great eff.
I used an Altec 511b horn with 808a alnico drivers from 1500 Hz up
Altec 515B driver (15" alnico) in a designed bass reflex box (yes, I had to get rid of the A7 horn/bass reflex enclosure, and build a pure BR) from 90 HZ upto 1500 HZ
and a single Hsu VTF 3 sub from 25-90 HZ.
The whole thing is actively crossed, and I am also using parametric EQ. My amplification is Luxman 4 channel solid state for the mids and highs (25 watt oer channel).
The overall sound is super clean and detailed, very satisfying.
THe cost of this is around $2k-$3k, depending on your ability to scrounge parts, etc. But it's worth it! I can't imagine a commercial system that sounds anything like it. For a large room, it's a good match. Added bonus, movies sound AWESOME on it, not surprising since it's the guts of a VOTT system!
-akhilesh

Re: Help w/New Project [message #18203 is a reply to message #18202] Fri, 28 October 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Akhilesh, thanks for the note. I'm not sure where I'd source the Altec parts, are they currently made? I can find JBL okay, but not Altec.

Re: Help w/New Project [message #18204 is a reply to message #18203] Fri, 28 October 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Try Great plains audio, located on Oklahoma City. They make new versions of the altec drivers (maybe not alnico but sound probably smoother, though "purists" may say less natural than alnico).

Or try ebay, if you are feeling brave.

OR simply, go with a similar config with JBL. Try their new horns and drivers. They should be pretty good too.

The point is, it's hard to beat (in my opinion) a 3 way set up, where you have a good sub like the hsu vtf3 going upto 80-90 HZ, then an 8-15 incher doing the 90-1500 Hz, and then a horn. Even a bass horn will usually only do 40-50 HZ, and for home rooms, a good sub like the Hsu will do the 20's which makes a hell of a difference (one octave's worth).

I was lucky, I found a mint set of altec drivers & horns in Tulsa itself, certified by the master himself: David Miller!
Thanks again Angel!
You need to come hear my set up.
-akhilesh

Re: Help w/New Project [message #18205 is a reply to message #18200] Fri, 28 October 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
From what I've read, it IS outstanding.
Except it is not highly sensitive at all, and hence may not be suitable for this forum.
-akhilesh

Re: Help w/New Project [message #18207 is a reply to message #18204] Fri, 28 October 2005 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
I'd love to hear your setup - I don't supposed you're anywhere near Columbus, OH?

Re: Help w/New Project [message #18210 is a reply to message #18204] Sat, 29 October 2005 07:27 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm in TUlsa. IF you come here, yu can hear quite a lot of good horn setups. Wayne Parham sells Pi speaker kits that are horn based, and you can check out his JBL based kits. He is also extremely knowledgeable, and an allround very friendly guy.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: scan subwoofer
Next Topic: Advice on choosing best dsp to be programable for use with acoustical arrays
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 23:26:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio