Home » Audio » Speaker » horn surfaces
Re: horn surfaces [message #17338 is a reply to message #17322] Mon, 10 January 2005 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Criminy is currently offline  Criminy
Esquire
Hello again, Earl.

You said, "... if the wavelength is bigger than the waveguide dimensions ..." Would you explain what it is you mean by this?

The only thing remotely similar I have read is that for proper loading, the mouth should be at least one wavelength in circumference at the desired cutoff frequency.

Re: horn surfaces [message #17342 is a reply to message #17338] Wed, 12 January 2005 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Once again, you have to remember my bent. Waveguides are for directivity control not loading. If the waveguide is smaller than the wavelength then it cannot control the directivity at all. It will still load, but at these frequencies the "flare rate" is virtually irrelavent as any shape ( that is increasing in area) with the same throat and mouth areas will load just about the same.

At higher frequencies, the shape becomes everything in directivity control, but is still only marginaly a factor in loading.

Re: horn surfaces [message #17343 is a reply to message #17342] Wed, 12 January 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Criminy is currently offline  Criminy
Esquire
Sorry, I really do understand your bias towards directivity control; didn't mean to distract with the mention of loading. Let me rephrase the question.

At what point does the wavelength become larger than the waveguide? When it is larger than the diameter of the mouth? than the circumference of the mouth? than the axial length of the waveguide? None of the above?

Re: horn surfaces [message #17345 is a reply to message #17343] Thu, 13 January 2005 07:01 Go to previous message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Sorry, but this seems pretty obvious to me. All of the above.

Previous Topic: Poating Rules Re: Items for sale & Auctions
Next Topic: CORAL Flat 8A drivers on open baffles
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 03:21:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout