Home » Audio » General » Beliefs
One man's trash..... [message #1653 is a reply to message #1590] Thu, 05 May 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
It's interesting that you use this particular example as the basis for the demise of American Hi-Fi. This is precisely what started it for me.

When I was 2 weeks old my father was shipped off the Viet Nam for several years. During his tour, he shipped many boxes home. One of the earliest memories I have from my childhood was going with my mother to the post office to retrieve one such shipment, his new "screeching" SS stereo. This new stereo, which my parents still use on a daily basis, taught me to appreciate both the music and the machine. My father always let me "play" with the controls, so I could figure out what they did. I was able to load RTRs before I could ride a bike. The music that came out of those speakers also set the mood for every Christmas since 1970, when we were stationed at Presidio of San Francisco. That Christmas my father recorded on the RTR a day's worth of Seasonal tunes off of KFOG. For years after, that was the only Christams music we ever played (I can still hear the fog horn blow as I type.)

Yeah, the Far East stuff the GI's brought home might have killed the American Hi-Fi industry, but it was the beginning for me.....Colin

Re: Beliefs [message #1663 is a reply to message #1645] Fri, 06 May 2005 06:18 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Oh; I plan on it. I am in Long Island but I make trips your way to visit friends, so yes I will contact you in June and make arrangements.( I need to study up on QWLT in the meantime.)

Previous Topic: November 2005 Vacuum Tube Valley Southern California Audio Festival
Next Topic: Components beliefs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 05:26:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout