Home » Audio » Speaker » Electro Voice EV15L
Not me [message #16868 is a reply to message #16867] Sun, 22 August 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
I would have toyed with the idea 20 years ago, but these days I'm making horns a quarter the size of the Karlson that run 6dB hotter, so it's not a path I'd likely go down.

Re: Not all that weird [message #16869 is a reply to message #16865] Sun, 22 August 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
It really doesn't. The only resemblance is in the shape of the exponential cutout of the front. From a performance standpoint it's a dual chamber reflex, but the front port is so large it doesn't exhibit the usual bandpass characteristics of dual chamber reflexes. It resembles a horn in that there is a chamber that the front wave fires into rather than going direct to the air. That chamber does lower the box Fb as compared to without the front chamber, but it does not add significant broadband gain to the system as a horn does.

"does not add significant broadband gain" [message #16871 is a reply to message #16869] Sun, 22 August 2004 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jbarlow is currently offline  jbarlow
Esquire
That's what I thought. If it doesn't add gain, I guess I just don't understand. Seems like front chamber would cause reflections and color the sound. If it doesn't add gain to make it worthwhile, what's the point?

Re: "does not add significant broadband gain" [message #16874 is a reply to message #16871] Sun, 22 August 2004 15:42 Go to previous message
Grand Master
Because the lowering of the Fb by the front chamber allows the driver to operate to a lower frequency than otherwise. In effect you do get gain in the low end over a single-chamber reflex, but the amount of gain is slight (3-5dB or so) and only extends over perhaps a half-octave range at best, compared to a horn where gain of 10-15dB over a two octave or better bandwidth is de rigeur.

Previous Topic: Speaker efficiency?
Next Topic: Line array driven as a phased array to create directionality?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 11:58:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio