Home » Audio » Speaker » OB - V3
Re: It's so hard to communicate this stuff in writing.... [message #16682 is a reply to message #16677] Sun, 11 July 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Definatly a worthwhile avenue to explore. The older drivers we used actually were pretty stiff, JBL d130's and Altec woofers. That of course is required for decent results. The thrust of past experiments in my opinion was to attempt to simplify as much as possible, the xover 1st order and baffle boards as narrow as possible. Linkwitz has done his homework thats for sure but the drivers he uses are pretty pricey and his system runs into some serious money.

Oh, yeah, this is costing me serious $$$$ [message #16683 is a reply to message #16682] Sun, 11 July 2004 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Minus paying for Linkwitz's engineering, I'm spending more, including being responsible for deforesting several acres ;-}

The best hobbyist advice I can give is marry a patient, saint of a woman, like I did. Don't know how I got so lucky.

BTW - the bass response [message #16684 is a reply to message #16678] Sun, 11 July 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just finished with the RTA and equalizer.

Had to make serious cuts from 50 to 75Hz (room modes?).

Have to kick it up for the natural roll-off below 50 Hz, but its about flat to 32 Hz at the listening position with +12dB of EQ.

Re: Oh, yeah, this is costing me serious $$$$ [message #16685 is a reply to message #16683] Sun, 11 July 2004 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm thinking that a neat way to do this might be to put the drivers in the wall of your listening room. Remove the sheetrock, install MDF or plywood instead, apply the finish to suit, and mount the drivers and an appropriate grille. The really avant-garde will make this an excercise in blending the aesthetics and acoustics, designing in soffits and room treatments into the decor, making the grilles using fine art on thin porous membranes with the slightest rise in HF to cover the attentuation that might result.

Re: Pictures Posted [message #16686 is a reply to message #16679] Sun, 11 July 2004 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Man, Charlie, those are great looking speakers! See my comments about the "really avant-garde" above. While not in the walls, my point was to blend beauty both in sight and sound and your system clearly does that. Magnificent!

Well, I think that's essentially a different approach [message #16687 is a reply to message #16685] Sun, 11 July 2004 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
from the the point of view that you're giving up the dipole radiation. Even though it's large, it's still a box with reflections falling back on the rear of the cone (assuming you're in one 16" wide chase, and it's only 3-1/2" deep).

It might be closer to what I'm trying to do to just let the rear of the drivers radiate into the back yard - 1/2 the midrange energy available, but avoiding the influence on the rear of the cone.

Or then again, maybe not....

Re: Well, I think that's essentially a different approach [message #16688 is a reply to message #16687] Sun, 11 July 2004 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Or you could mount it into the Levee and point it east.(New Orleans is east of the river right?)

East, south, there's no such thing here [message #16689 is a reply to message #16688] Sun, 11 July 2004 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I grew up and went to school in Boston. People always complain about getting lost in Boston because the streets are mostly paved-over colonial cow paths - twists, turns, no layout at all.

But New Orleans does them one better - they abandon the compass too. The city is on the east bank, except that the east bank is north of the river. The river runs west to east here. So guess where the West Bank (a defined area of New Orleans) is? Well, that one they made easy - it's south of the river.

I actually live not in New Orleans, but on the Northshore - of the lake that borders New Orleans to the north, on the east bank.

Get it?

Wayne, you're way too kind [message #16690 is a reply to message #16686] Sun, 11 July 2004 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re: Well, I think that's essentially a different approach [message #16691 is a reply to message #16687] Sun, 11 July 2004 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, Charlie, you're right. One approach is a dipole and the other is an infinite baffle. I suppose technically the way you're using them is a finite baffle and the infinite baffle is, well, infinite. But I wasn't focused on the radiation pattern and instead on the aspects of system tuning and Q, which is similar between infinite baffle and open baffle.

Previous Topic: Anyone interested in reading a Selah Audio Omegarray review?
Next Topic: If JBLPro Components are so great ...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 15:29:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio