Home » Audio » Speaker » New topic - Any thoughts on this three way
After my own spirit [message #15879 is a reply to message #15874] Wed, 17 December 2003 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
I look forward to you doing this before I get revved up so you can share the results (and pictures). Thanks a bunch Adrian.

Henry

Re: New topic - Any thoughts on this three way [message #15880 is a reply to message #15876] Wed, 17 December 2003 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Good enough that Pi Speaker would consider flushing out and adding to its product line in the new year? ;-)

Re: New topic - Any thoughts on this three way [message #15881 is a reply to message #15880] Wed, 17 December 2003 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There are already three-way speakers in the π Speakers product line. Most of our speakers of a decade ago and back were three-way systems like what you've described. The curent Audiophile Series line is like that too. But most current models are two-way speakers, with the advantage of having only a single crossover point. I don't anticipate making a change to the existing standard four π-18 models.

We should probably take this to the π Speakers forum, where there are some discussions that may be of interest to you. I can answer specific questions on the general forums, but advertisements and product announcements are a no-no here.

Re: Haven't really set the Xovers [message #15882 is a reply to message #15877] Wed, 17 December 2003 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There's no magic in having each subsystem run a decade. It is a good goal though for a three-way though. The midrange is covered by a single driver rather than being split somewhere in the middle. And the audio bandwidth is fully covered. The numbers just add up.

Pictures and stuff, many [message #15892 is a reply to message #15879] Thu, 18 December 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi Henry

Am already well into it!

Everything is purchased, and the towers are half way built. Lately been doing heaps of experiments and tweaking on midrange horns, got +/-3db from 300Hz to 2KHz in my small midrange horn, only about 28cm axial length, and 38 by 28cm mouth.

Pictures of towers:

Above picture shows the bottom part of the enclosure. It goes inside the outer panels, which is Tasmanian Oak.

Here are the front baffle boards for the enclosures. On the bottom is the JBL 2225H 15" hole, the middle is the hole for the midrange tractrix horn,
and the top is the hole for the 2370A horn. Below the 2225 hole there should be two holes for the ports, but they weren't cut yet at the time the picture was taken.

Above shows how the front panels are going to attach. Hence you can see what I meant by those boxes going at the bottom. The thing on the right hand side is the other box tipped on its side. You can see the proper veneered bottom has been attached to the plain MDF, so its double layer 18mm MDF.

Above shows the sides of the enclosures. It's pre-veneered MDF in Tasmanian Oak! These go on the sides of the boxes like the picture above so you can see how it goes together.

Another shot of the front and how it attaches to the 2225H box. Top left hand corner is a block out from my thumb.

And here are some pictures of the midrange horn:

My crappy digital camera took this one in half black and white for some reason :P And that bench you see to the left is actually red, not green.

I have previously built other midrange horns too, but decided to use the one above as its the smoothest response over the widest range. My website http://www.geocities.com/adrian_mack/homepage.html has some piccies of the tractrix horn. Go to the Pi Speakers Forum and you'll find heaps of pics and stuff scattered all over the place.

Here are some piccies of JBL 2370A horns with P.Audio PA-D45 comp drivers attached

Last pic there looks like the horn flare is not proper black, it actually is, like in the first two pics.

And here is the 2225

I really enjoy the sound of that midrange horn and the other parts too. When it all finally comes togethor I'll let you know what I think. Don't think I can go wrong here though, especially with components like these.

Adrian

Re: Pictures and stuff, many [message #15893 is a reply to message #15892] Thu, 18 December 2003 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Are you planning to veneer or paint these speakers? You've put a lot of effort into them, and they just look super.

Very, very nice [message #15894 is a reply to message #15892] Thu, 18 December 2003 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
Great work Adrian.

Re:Ambitious [message #15895 is a reply to message #15892] Thu, 18 December 2003 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That is just flat out creative and meticulous work. Anxiously looking forward to seeing the finished product. Unless you're like me and "finished" never comes!

Re: Pictures and stuff, many [message #15899 is a reply to message #15893] Thu, 18 December 2003 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Thanks Wayne. I'm thinking perhaps I'll put lacquer over the MDF which is pre-veneered in Tasmanian Oak. I think this is what is usually done with veneers, maybe I'll ask around first and see what others have to say about finishing veneer.

Re: Very, very nice [message #15900 is a reply to message #15894] Thu, 18 December 2003 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Have you gotten any solid plan worked out for your 3-ways yet?

Previous Topic: Why get into Single Driver/High Eff/Horns?
Next Topic: Bizarre looking new horns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 02:08:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout