Home » Audio » Speaker » New speakers again...
Re: pics of the Avids [message #15009 is a reply to message #15008] Wed, 25 May 2005 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
>Oh my, my, my. Those numbers are killing me. You totally scored on a bunch of that stuff, didn't you Dave?!!
response graph [message #15010 is a reply to message #14997] Thu, 26 May 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I added a couple of warble tone response graphs of the Avid 60's to my photos. Scroll to bottom of the page.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_hurdy_gurdyman/album?.dir=6d5d&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_hurdy_gurdyman/my_photos

There seems to be a problem around 1200 Hz, otherwise looks pretty good. Not sure if the response peak is a driver problem or a box/grill problem.

Dave

Re: response graph [message #15011 is a reply to message #15010] Thu, 26 May 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm trying to track down the reason for a peak around 1200 Hz on my Avid 60's response. See them and the response graph at the bottom of the page here.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_hurdy_gurdyman/album?.dir=6d5d&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_hurdy_gurdyman/my_photos

I'm open to suggestions on what is causing this and what the cure is. I don't know if this is a whizzer problem, box/grill problem, surround problem (not the factory surround)or something else altogether. Maybe a notch filter, or perhaps dammar varnish on the whizzer? Open to anything right now.
Still love the way these sound and image, but there is always room for improvement.

Re: response graph [message #15013 is a reply to message #15011] Thu, 26 May 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I suspect it's cone breakup. To test that, I'd measure something else (to make sure it wasn't a measurement system anomaly) and in a different location (to make sure it wasn't introduced by the environment). That would help know that what you were seeing was caused by the speaker. Then, if so, you might do something that stiffens the cone or makes it heavier to see if the peak changes shape. If so, it's due to cone flex. You can do reversible things like using radial lines of masking tape on the cone.

Re: response graph [message #15017 is a reply to message #15013] Thu, 26 May 2005 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks Wayne. I'll play with that idea early next week.

Dave

frustrated... [message #15021 is a reply to message #14997] Sun, 29 May 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm beginning to wonder if warble tone tests at the listening position have any real value. I've moved the SPL meter forward and back a couple of feet and it changes the various peaks measured from the Avid 60's by 2-3 dB. The peak I get at 5-6 kHz is also on the measurements I took of my EV Sx100 pro speakers, Klipsch Heresys and EV LS-12 and LS-8 open baffles. Funny they would all peak at the same place with such different speaker configurations. The 1200 Hz peak on the Avids is similar, but larger, than that measured on the EV LS-12 open baffles. They are both whizzer speakers, but with great differences in cone and whizzer size. Can a whizzer cone cause problems down in the 1200 Hz range? I figured them to come in much higher. The somewhat broad dip at 315 Hz is similar to all my other speakers, which all exibit dips between 200-400 Hz. Probably floor-bounce phase cancelation, as all of them are rather low down in height.
So far, I've added thinned silicone damping to the outer half of the whizzer cone, added poly-fill behind the whizzer and damped the driver frame with caulk. All helped the sound and measurements bit, but nothing earth-shaking.
All in all, I'm quite pleased with the open, natural sound of the Avids, and the nice imaging. I think I'll just ignore the measurement flaws and enjoy.

Dave

Re: frustrated... [message #15022 is a reply to message #15021] Sun, 29 May 2005 12:17 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's more than difficult to get useful data with measurements like that. Don't trust it, trust your ears instead. Might grab a copy of Speaker Workshop if you're itching to make measurements.

Previous Topic: New ESL Research
Next Topic: audax pr 17omo poor driver choice!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 07:13:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio