Home » Audio » Source » Saved On Vinyl
Saved On Vinyl [message #95267] Sun, 20 February 2022 07:37 Go to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Is there a way to store a spoken word message on vinyl? People use high-tech methods to put messages, like verbal copies of wills and such, why not vinyl?

It would be a unique way to leave your legacy.
Re: Saved On Vinyl [message #95273 is a reply to message #95267] Sun, 20 February 2022 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Anything is possible...but why use a media that is easily subject to damage? A scratch or accidently dropping and cracking would spoil the archive. I am not a great fan of any particalular method, but I feel it is a toss up between digital and photo digital.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Saved On Vinyl [message #95278 is a reply to message #95267] Mon, 21 February 2022 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I like the idea, it sounds unique, and I'm sure they'd cherish it. However, I bet it would be a pricey project and unless you have studio equipment, I doubt it will sound better than what you can create with a digital voice recorder.
Re: Saved On Vinyl [message #95291 is a reply to message #95278] Tue, 22 February 2022 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi At one time there were record recorders. They would take a signal and cut the grooves on a blank disk. The home units were a bit iffy and did not make anything nearly as good as commercial disks. Poor signal to noise, poor fidelity, expensive for the time. IMO digital is the way to go. You can make as many archive copies as you want and each will be the same. With proper encoding ....say anything over about 24/96 the results are hard to tell from any known (realistic) source material. The digital copies can contain audio, video and documents without any issues. Vinyl can't do that. Digital storage media is dirt cheap now as well. 128-256G jump drives under $40, 1TB SSDs at $70, and just this week I saw a name brand 4TB spinner for $75.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Saved On Vinyl [message #95297 is a reply to message #95267] Thu, 24 February 2022 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
What I had in mind was a niche gift for someone who is directly or indirectly involved in the recording business. Maybe someone who started out in the old days and still has fond memories of them.

I know it's not that practical from a technical standpoint, but sentiments don't necessarily have to be practical.

Sometimes the intent is more meaningful than the action.
Re: Saved On Vinyl [message #95337 is a reply to message #95267] Thu, 03 March 2022 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
That's very thoughtful of you. I'm sure they wouldn't play it every day or something, just every once in a while for special occasions.

If you have the money to throw down, go for it.
Re: Saved On Vinyl [message #95344 is a reply to message #95337] Sat, 05 March 2022 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Considering that companies exist to transfer LPs to digital, tape to digital and so on...it is likley that there is one or more that would copy a tape recording or digital file to a disk. A google search would probably find one. Price might be a bit steep though.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Saved On Vinyl [message #95348 is a reply to message #95267] Mon, 07 March 2022 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
I can imagine. Asking them to reverse a now-standard technology can't be cheap.

It does sound like a sentimental type move though. One that would be appreciated.
Re: Saved On Vinyl [message #96409 is a reply to message #95267] Tue, 21 February 2023 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
I wouldn't trust it for something as complicated as a will, but I think reading a story aloud could make a nifty gift for a grandchild. It would be like grandpa sending them off to sleep at night. You could go through a commercial outfit, such as PrintYourVinyl or Vinylify, to get it done.
Re: Saved On Vinyl [message #96410 is a reply to message #96409] Tue, 21 February 2023 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Take a look here to get a taste of the old, and the new home record recorders. Then observe the crucial steps in producing high quality records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCuC3fV_fHc

I'll stick to the commercially made. But the new Gakken record maker might be a nice way to get youth interested in vinyl. Helping to keep the heritage going strong.
Previous Topic: Practical limit to tube based phono preamps
Next Topic: Safe to play?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:12:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout