Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Your Heavy Rotation Right Now
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #92041 is a reply to message #91999] Thu, 11 June 2020 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
These guys are not polished musicians. They're like a drive-in B-grade movie with Bruce Dern in The Incredible Two Headed Transplant. The album Voodoo Trucker is their tribute to truck driving music, but creep'd out. As they say. Fun stuff with beer in hand. Like the liner notes explain, "in the studio, we do two takes only, and if we screw it up we don't use it. Our fans would know it if it sounded polished". Wished I'd a been able to see them play live. Found out about them too late. Deadbolt. The most dangerous band in the world they billed themselves. Twang and macabre music.

https://img.discogs.com/foW0Qh24RcGkiQj0t07lBqweiOU=/fit-in/480x480/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-12784379-1541879359-4428.png.jpg

Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #92177 is a reply to message #91706] Mon, 17 August 2020 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2607&private=0

Joe Beck, Santi Debriano and Thierry Arpino.

Jazz guitars. Superb.
  • Attachment: folder.jpg
    (Size: 61.06KB, Downloaded 416 times)
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #92195 is a reply to message #92177] Sat, 22 August 2020 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
One of my favorite Dub albums from Hopeton Brown, aka, Scientist. Here, he's Dubbing Culture's album Payday I listed earlier from this thread. Dub is reggae's ode to the engineer's creativity in the control room. Hence the term, "Dread at the controls". Mainly instrumental mix of what the band lay'ed down for whatever song recorded. Heavily altered with fades and all manner of shenanigans the engineer congers. In the case of Scientist, one of the first, foremost and formidable, along with King Tubby. Scientist also was and still is a brilliant craftsman with clean detailed mixes on conventional tracks for artists. Seeing his name associated with credits means great fidelity.

Scientist Dubs Culture Into A Parallel Universe.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61X8Mu7JOGL.jpg
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #92206 is a reply to message #92195] Sun, 23 August 2020 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

How fun is that?!!

I kind of like "Gorillaz" sometimes for catchy little beats.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2608&private=0
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #92223 is a reply to message #91706] Thu, 27 August 2020 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
I've been on a John Hiatt Kick lately. Past 2 days actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyjxIVNfMHU&list=OLAK5uy_nWM9HSKHFsvOtxFJYOpqIJ8f_xZJSdKB4&index=7&t=0s

His voice takes some getting used to, but he can write love songs like no other and he's one of the most underrated guitarists of our time.

IMO.
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #92227 is a reply to message #92223] Fri, 28 August 2020 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes, John Hiatt is a fine song writer, guitarist and I like his unpolished voice. That's what makes R&R real. If you don't know this collaboration it's really nice too. Teaming up with Jim Kiltner, Ry Cooder and Nick Lowe calling themselves, Little Village in the early 90's. Indie rock superstars collectively.

https://img.discogs.com/Lmq71Yitd0NWyrKZisNnojsX2W4=/fit-in/600x605/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-1035992-1468082448-5130.jpeg.jpg
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #92236 is a reply to message #92227] Sun, 30 August 2020 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Thanks for the reminder. I have listened to their stuff in the past and it's pretty good. With that lineup, how could it not be, right?
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #95507 is a reply to message #92236] Sun, 10 April 2022 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had to go digging to resurrect this thread. But I've enjoyed listening to this record now for a few sessions, wondering why I'd put it back in the less played stacks. They only released one album during their tenure. I was fortunate enough to see their act and it wasn't lacking. These boys laid down some high quality rock & roll. Straight ahead no chaser. Now I can't get the album tunes outta my friggin mind.

ROCKPILE Seconds Of Pleasure

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/Rpsecople.jpg

Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #95508 is a reply to message #95507] Sun, 10 April 2022 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I remember hearing them on the radio in the early 1980s. The song "Teacher, Teacher" was in relatively heavy rotation on the Tulsa radio stations. Thanks for the post to bring 'em back into memory!

Makes me also remember "Twilight Zone" (when the bullet hits the bone) from Golden Earring, which also was in heavy rotation around the same time. Had a similar feel. And another catchy "one hit wonder" from the early 1980s was "Driver's Seat" by Sniff 'n' the Tears.

Lots good memories of cruising Memorial Drive in a hotrod listening to those songs. Either in my best friend Monte's '68 Mustang with an all-out wheelie-pullin' 351-Cleveland or my 1972 Mazda RX-2 with headers and a Holley carb. Good times.
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #95509 is a reply to message #95508] Sun, 10 April 2022 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Your personal American Graffiti during your cruisin period. We had a drive-in like that here, where the gear heads would lay scratch around the parking lot. Nothin like a burger and burning rubber. I'd forgotten about Drivers Seat. But a swift tube search complete the link to my memory, and Golden Earring. Them's were the days.
Hope other people post in on this thread. It's nice to hear what someone's getting their groove on.
Previous Topic: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Next Topic: Rick Springfield and Men at Work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:53:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout