Home » Audio » Source » Delrin arm board for AR turntable
Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11787 is a reply to message #11786] Wed, 15 December 2004 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thats great to hear, i would be interested, if for no other reason my black widows instuction manual shows a 103 mounted on it. I didn't realize you had a 103. Can you tell mw about its characteristic sound as compared to some of the other carts you have experience with? I assume its weight/mass and compliance are correct for my arm. Unless the photographer just bolted on the nearest cart. My arm will use carts with weights from 4 to 8.5 grams. I am looking for a signifigant step up from my ortofon OM 30. Do you think it would be?

Regards, Russellc

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11788 is a reply to message #11787] Thu, 16 December 2004 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Up front remmember it tracks at 2.5 grams, some find that unacceptable. The sound; it's a nice warm fat sound, not sparkly but sweet. Is this making any sense? It does have the appearence of reduced surface noise; not weak in the highs but less aggressive. It tracks almost anything; reffering back to your original post. I try other carts but eventually come back to the Denon due t the musicality. If you love detail and hyper-resolution, which is fine depending on the music you like; then pass it by would be my recommendation. I like a lot of 50/'s jazz and old acid rock as well as singer/songwriters. This mix works real well with the 103.
I use a Fidelity Research step-up.
As far as record wear, I don't care much anymore. I have a lot of albums and if I played one a day it would take years to go through them all and by then I won't hear too good anyway.

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11789 is a reply to message #11788] Thu, 16 December 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
People needlessly freak about tracking weight. record wear is occasioned more from light tracking weights than heavy ones. If the cart was meant to track at 2.5 grams, it will cause no more wear than one designed to track at 1 gram. Sounds like a cart I might enjoy,"big fat" sound. while the hyperdetailed carts can sound good, and enjoyable, rarely does live music sound that way! Same with "imaging" I, like most,enjoy a big expansive stage, but again,rarely is this how live music sounds. I find realism more in the "Pulsing air bubble" concept, where music seems to come from a pulsing area of pressurization, creating a little atmoshere in the process. Probably why I like tubes/horns setups. Hope you understand, I just reread what I typed...not sure if it came out right.

russellc

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11790 is a reply to message #11789] Thu, 16 December 2004 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Nice image; the Pulsating Bubble, it does make sense, in a Zen like way. Alot of the higher priced MC's I have heard are either too bright or too expensive. If I could afford a Koetsu or a Van Den HUll I would not hesitate but the Denon really does music nicely and if you never have heard those others then this would make you happy.
For 250$ what else is there? Audio Cube sells the 601 also but it is over 500$. So; since you agree with my description then I feel confidant in offering a recomendation.
Nice to know that you can embark on the upgrade path with confidence ain't it? Something to look forward to. With the AR I mean.

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11791 is a reply to message #11790] Sat, 18 December 2004 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, I just scored a Shure V15 vmr or what ever from a guy on ebay that had six up for bid, so I guess I'll have one after all.
Russellc

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11792 is a reply to message #11791] Sat, 18 December 2004 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
In a way thats an even better choice. Sounds great tracks anything and no step-up. So what was the final score on that piece? Wonder how he came to have six?

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11793 is a reply to message #11792] Sat, 18 December 2004 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was scanning audio asylum (not participating, "didn't inhale") and I saw a header talking about the cart and how this guy just got it from an ebay seller who had a bunch I guess, so I went to ebay searched, found it. It showed six left. I guess only 5 now. I believe it is "buy it now" @ 214.00 or so. 5 for ship 3 for insur (optional). Jacks used to have them for 199.99, most others seem to be 325.99. They are brand new sealed factory packages. Apparently, some item used in its manufacture is simply no longer available, shure says it will not return this time.
I guess if I like it I'll look for an extra stylus to keep around.

Regards, russellc

Re: Delrin arm board for AR turntable [message #11794 is a reply to message #11793] Sun, 19 December 2004 08:19 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
by the way, the denon 103 can be gotten from audiocubes.com, check to see if back ordered first. 249 I believe.

Russellc

Previous Topic: Best Vinyl Disc Cleaning Method
Next Topic: Update on Tascam unit in the previous post.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:08:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio