Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Boy, is this a dull forum...
Re: Old dog learned a new trick [message #11362 is a reply to message #11351] Mon, 04 December 2006 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Fried a resistor on the driver stage of the 45 amp the other day.
Bad driver tube took it out. Or bad CCS mosfet took out the tube, or...
Have had a problem with the turn-on surge of the B+. Even damaged the other channels mosfet.
In looking over the problem and replacing the bad parts at the WSOTT meeting Saturday, Steve suggested implementing a switch on the B+. With a .01uF 2kV cap across the terminals.
Last night I installed it. On the center tap connection to ground.
Just a SPST 250 VAC, 10 amp rated toggle.
Powered up and let the filaments warm up for a few minutes, then closed the switch. No flashes or crackles, which I had previously.

Re: Old dog learned a new trick [message #11363 is a reply to message #11362] Tue, 05 December 2006 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Bill, have you ever seen anything like this used?

Re: Old dog learned a new trick [message #11364 is a reply to message #11363] Fri, 08 December 2006 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
That's a great approach and it's a good reason to get hold of some of those books, like the Radio Amature's Handbook (especially older ones). The only drawback here is that you'd have to have seperate filiment transformers. Probably not a big deal, but can be an unplanned addition to the chassis. I recently found, by the way, that Hammond makes some nice fil transformers with dual secondaries - for example, two x 2.5v windings (266M5). This makes it so you'd need fewer seperate fil tfr under the hood.

Well... [message #11365 is a reply to message #11356] Thu, 04 January 2007 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It's after Christmas...is the amp done? Any fireworks? did it work the first time( if it did, you have got great skill! )? Got the 6W6 mod done? How does it sound?

heh-heh-heh...

Re: Well... [message #11366 is a reply to message #11365] Mon, 08 January 2007 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gfederys is currently offline  gfederys
Baron
WOW there buddy, you sure are pushy for an answer! The 300B thing was a bust. The Tamura 2.5v-5v transformer did not have enough cahuna's to drive the 2A3's let alone the 300B's. I put the original Hammond 166L2's I bought in and it worked right out of the box as a 2A3. After some resistor tweaking and replacing the 6SL7 drivers with 6EM7's, the darn thing REALLY sounds nice! It isn't as good as my friends $5k P-25 amp but still very musical. As far as my skillset, if it wasn't for the help of a close friend, they probably would have found my charred, half parakeet-eaten body in the condo after the spring thaw. I really appreciated his patience, help, and insight with my project. I returned the favor by preventing his electrocution.

Re: Old dog learned a new trick [message #11374 is a reply to message #11362] Sat, 07 April 2007 21:59 Go to previous message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
No flashes and or cackles or actually good, I'm sure you know this already.But you never said if it worked or not yet.

Previous Topic: Melos Mat 185 schematic or repair needed
Next Topic: Oh my, what a big toob you have!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:41:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio