Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi with feet (images of my 4pi project)
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78218 is a reply to message #78216] Mon, 28 October 2013 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It shouldn't be hard to install the T-Nuts. Just drill the holes slightly smaller than the T-Nut shank, so there is an interference fit. The trick is to have a little bit of friction to provide some clamping force, but not so much that the threads strip when you pull them in. Use a dab of epoxy and pull 'em all in with a sacrificial screw. Change screws every three or four T-Nuts, so you don't damage the threads. Basically just follow the directions on the link a few posts back.

Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78219 is a reply to message #78218] Mon, 28 October 2013 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Very impressive; crisp details and fit. I love the way you used the legs to angle the cabinets.

Table looks like a TD-125? What are the electronics?

Keep us posted on the listening
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78220 is a reply to message #78219] Mon, 28 October 2013 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lucasmateo is currently offline  lucasmateo
Baron
Smile Tomorrow I'll try to finish everything.

You are right, the turntable is a thorens td-125 and a sme 3009 III, A friend of mine is finishing a tube preamp and amplifier with el34. On the table now is another tube amp borrowed (3-4W, el34 too) a mixer until my friend finish the preamp, a dac micromega and thath all. Records on the white boxes.

I hope tomorrow I can put everything together
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78225 is a reply to message #78220] Tue, 29 October 2013 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I had bad luck, 1/4 T-nuts and screws doesn't fit the woofer, the horns neither... And i'm so impatient on this project that I'll use wood screws and order the t-nuts from USA, in two weeks I drill and use the t-nuts...

I've just tried the electronics and everything to work well Smile

I have one question, I connected the red IN to positive IN (+) and black IN to negative IN (-). Is this correct?

Because I used JBL2226 and B&C de250 and both of them used Positive (+) to Black.

I guess for connection is (+) to red and (-) to black...

Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78227 is a reply to message #78225] Wed, 30 October 2013 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's right on the connectors. The JBL and B&C drivers are connected weird, seemingly backwards. But the amplifier connection to the binding posts and into the crossover go (+) to (+).

Sorry the T-Nuts you found were too big. Do try and get some that fit, because they are a much better fastener than wood screws.

Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78234 is a reply to message #78227] Wed, 30 October 2013 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Well, finally they are done and running! They look great, later I'll post some photos.

I'll order some t-nuts and screws, but now they are with wood screws.

They have great imaging, they are big but disappear with the music. I think I might have used to much insulation, as I have tight but shy bass extension (not much, but a little shy). Maybe the mids are a little higher too.

I didn't use shower pan gaskets, I used rubber gaskets (2mm), is this right?

Later I'll post more photos and comments.
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78235 is a reply to message #78234] Wed, 30 October 2013 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
After a two hours auditioning morning I have some partial preview of my legged 4pi.

Preview:

Imaging and soundstage are really impressive, nothing like I've ever had, it doesn't matter if the voices are female, male or tom waits, its always in font of me, amazing. They are really smooth, nothing bright or muddy, very detailed. I was worried about high frequencies, but they were there very detailed.

I noticed that this speakers are really record dependant, some records sounds amazing, with a soundstage really wide, detailed, separated instruments... and other records sounds regular. Same thing happens with good turntable carts. I think this is not a fault of the speaker, maybe its just too good for those old mp3s...

About mids and lows:

Mids were quite high giving a lot of presence at first listening yesterday at night, this morning I figured out two things, first I've used just two screws for each woofer (for testing) and forgot to screw the rest (i was tired, jej) so after tighting every screw this was corrected. yesterday I tested with some bad mp3 I had near me and as I said before I htink this speakers doesn't like bad recorded tracks.

Low frequency is still very tight but very shy. Some records sound better than others but not too much. If I put my ear on the port I can hear bass extension, but mostly from the 40hz or even lower, and very muddy.

I have to hypothesis, first one: I used too much insulation, here in my country we don't use R13 or R11 nomination, so I bought 5cms fiber glass and put a sheet and a half on top, back and port side walls. then another one and a half (7.5cms) between woofer and horn. Second hypothesis is that is used bad internal wiring, it was a standard 18awg (i thought it was 16, but not). Third hypothesis is that wood screws are screwing my beautiful speakers (I'vll order some t-nuts). Forth hypothesis is that the woofers are bad (i bought them used) but they look great, they have nice movent, and the mids have no problem at all.

So, Maybe you can help me, maybe I have to order some other things than the t-nuts from the USA. I live in Montevideo, Uruguay and there are lot of hifi stores and electronic stores, but no small t-nuts...

best,
Lucas

BTW, this speakers sound great Wayne, I have to thank you again. Even with the tight low lows, it sound great Smile I'm at the office now, but at night I'll take some nice photos and make a separate post.
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78236 is a reply to message #78235] Wed, 30 October 2013 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for your review.

The only way to know for sure whether your speakers perform as designed is to measure them, of course. But to be honest, they aren't intended to provide a lot of deep bass. I almost always recommend they be used with (helper woofer) flanking subs, both for added extension and for smoothing.
The response is slightly overdamped, and this prevents them from sounding boomy, even when pushed hard or in rooms with strong modes. I think that's a better approach, especially when blended with subs. And even without subs, I think they sound better this way. But do consider adding subs, positioned just to the side and slightly behind your main speakers. Set them up as described in the thread linked above. I think you'll love that combination, for both music and movies.

Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78237 is a reply to message #78127] Wed, 30 October 2013 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Your speakers look great! The way the feet are integrated and you have them sloped is cool. If you're using new 2226s with a smaller tube amp, the bass may develop more as they break. I use mine with a small SET amp, but when they were new I hooked an Adcom SS amp up to the speakers and played it loud whenever I went out...I felt sorry for my dog.
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78238 is a reply to message #78237] Wed, 30 October 2013 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
But the woofers are used so I think they are already broken in. They were stored for 5-6 years, maybe is that?

Later I'll try them with less insulation, some day this week, maybe weekend. By now I'll use them this way, they sound great anyway Smile
Previous Topic: New Here - 7pi and ??? for LCR
Next Topic: H290C Horn Tweeter Review
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 03:33:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout