Home » Audio » Group Build » Low Cost Phono Preamp for MM and LOMC
Re: Low Cost Phono Preamp for MM and LOMC [message #93534 is a reply to message #93528] Sat, 17 April 2021 08:41 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Actually several. For a while I made some for friends and still have two here. A buddy in Australia makes them as well. I believe at last count he has sold over a dozen. You can get more info if you ask on diyaudioprojects.com forums. There is a project and lengthy thread on that site. There is only really one part that can cause sonic issues and that is the output capacitor. The design shines with good ones there. I still use the tape one any time I need to listen to R-R tapes. It is far better than the OEM built in one. The preamps run fine on a pair of 9 volt batteries and you can eliminate pretty much all of the power supply. Just two batteries and two 100uf caps (one across each battery) and it works fine. The guy in Australia does that. The second one I kept uses lithium rechargeable batteries for +/- 14 volts. I figure the batteries should run for about 1500 hours. Maybe twice that. They are type 18500/ 1500ma at 3.7v. Really clean sound, extremely low noise and flat response well past anything else you might have. Use a socket on the IC. This makes it easier if you bung up and fry one.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Guitar Amp Project
Next Topic: Buy or Build?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:52:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers