Home » Audio » Speaker » Cleaning?
Cleaning? [message #68523] Sat, 09 July 2011 09:30 Go to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Do you do anything special when cleaning your speakers? A friend of mine always takes the grill off and feather dusts the cones but I've never bothered. I just dust the top, sides, and back.
Re: Cleaning? [message #70096 is a reply to message #68523] Fri, 11 November 2011 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
I don't take anything off Very Happy , I don't want to ruin the speaker. I always thought that if you took anything off the speaker you could get dust inside? I am not taking that chance!
Re: Cleaning? [message #70851 is a reply to message #70096] Fri, 06 January 2012 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
I wouldn't open a speaker just to clean it. Wiping the speaker is enough for me. If the speaker will fail due to dust then I guess it is old enough for me to buy a new one.
Re: Cleaning? [message #70863 is a reply to message #68523] Fri, 06 January 2012 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't open the speaker or take the grill off. I'm not sure why your friend feels the need to feather dust the cones, but I'm guessing she's more into cleaning than I am.
Re: Cleaning? [message #70866 is a reply to message #70863] Fri, 06 January 2012 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Don't open 'em up. There's no need. Even if it's vented, unless you think your kid rolled a Hot Wheels car in the port, there's no reason to get inside.

I wouldn't even clean the cone. Dust isn't a problem, but cleaning it might be.

Just wipe the wood with your favorite furniture cleaner (Minwax, Liquid Gold, etc.) and call it good.

Re: Cleaning? [message #71825 is a reply to message #68523] Sun, 18 March 2012 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maurice1201 is currently offline  Maurice1201
Esquire

Dust does get inside the grill cloth and builds up on the drivers over time and can have a negligible effect on the sound reproduction if it is not removed. The drivers can be cleaned with care to cone/dome/dust cap without hurting it, using a damp dish cloth, then follow with a dry dish cloth. That is how I take care of my speakers, and after that I gently blow compressed air at them from about a foot away. If drivers are concealed with a mesh screen, then all you can do is carefully blow dust off with compressed air nozzle, while keeping it at a distance of no closer than 12 inches.
Re: Cleaning? [message #71831 is a reply to message #68523] Sun, 18 March 2012 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jammin_nmy_livinroom is currently offline  jammin_nmy_livinroom
Chancellor
Thanks for the advice, Maurice1201. Normally when I dust my speakers, I use a Swiffer duster to remove any loose particles and then go back behind it with a damp cloth. After that I let it air dry and start collecting dust again, lol.
Re: Cleaning? [message #73208 is a reply to message #68523] Thu, 05 July 2012 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mixinlady
Baron
Those Clorox wipes are handy for both dusting and disinfecting. I also take an air blaster to the nooks and crannies from time to time.
Re: Cleaning? [message #73296 is a reply to message #68523] Mon, 16 July 2012 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Some of you are like my friend and feel much more compelled to clean than I do. Laughing I figure running a duster and maybe some wood polish over the speaker is more than enough.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your tips.
Re: Cleaning? [message #73316 is a reply to message #68523] Mon, 16 July 2012 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
I don't think it would have ever occured to me to take the speakers apart just to clean them. If something was wrong with them sure, but for cleaning I think a simple dust rag will do. Smile
Previous Topic: Crossover Question
Next Topic: Best iPod speaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:09:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout