Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread
Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread [message #63391 is a reply to message #63389] Tue, 13 July 2010 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigmouthinDC is currently offline  BigmouthinDC
Baron
Time for less talk and more building as I need to first get some speakers made. Then I can give them a listen and maybe convince a friend to come over with his calibrated mic and software to test them in place.

If you have any interest in furthering the "Science" of making Pi speakers more AT screen friendly I could drop some fabric remnants in the mail.
Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread [message #63393 is a reply to message #63391] Tue, 13 July 2010 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, sure, if you have some of the screen material and the open cell foam, I'll measure the speakers with and without the screen in front (at various positions and angles) and with and without the open cell foam sandwiched between screen and speaker. I'd like to also try it with a piece cut to fill the horn like Geddes does, because if the foam is just put in front of the speaker, then we have an abrupt transition at the mouth. Kinda trying to make a "medium" for sound to pass through that is relatively constant from phase plug to screen face.

Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread [message #63395 is a reply to message #63393] Tue, 13 July 2010 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Sounds like a deal, I'm going to do some more reading on sources for the foam an how to fashion a plug in between sawdust sessions.
Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread [message #63396 is a reply to message #63395] Tue, 13 July 2010 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very good, keep us posted.

Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread [message #63405 is a reply to message #63366] Fri, 16 July 2010 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Psychoacoustic is currently offline  Psychoacoustic
Viscount
Let the woodchips fly! Hope to see some finished photos soon.
And your home theatre looks sensational, BTW.
Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread [message #63414 is a reply to message #63366] Fri, 16 July 2010 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skywave-rider is currently offline  skywave-rider
Viscount
Ditto.

Interesting about the perf screen.
Beautiful theater!
Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread [message #63628 is a reply to message #63414] Mon, 02 August 2010 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Progress has been slow, not for complexity only a time allocation issue.

So I decided to go with a two layer front baffle consisting of 3/4 MDF and 1/2 MDF. Using the 1/2 inch MDF as an easy method of flush mounting the woofer and horn. I also decided to use Green Glue dampening goo between the layers. The baffle turned out to be remarkably quiet once assembled.

I originally planned to use the leftover 1/2 scraps to make the ports but once I had them glued up I didn't like how they responded to a knuckle test so I glued up some 3/4 versions and they sounded better.

Here is the front baffles and ports glued up. When the sides are all glued up I will be removing those screws and washers you see in the picture. I used the washers to keep the 1 1/4 inch screws from going through the front.

http://www.PiSpeakers.com/DIY/BigmouthinDC/BigmouthinDC_4Pi_HomeTheater_04_FrontBaffle.jpg

Next, item is the horn isn't quite 1/2 so I cut some gaskets out of some rubber foam I had sitting around.

http://www.PiSpeakers.com/DIY/BigmouthinDC/BigmouthinDC_4Pi_HomeTheater_05_Gaskets.jpg

Then test fitted everything. When I screw the horn in it will flatten the gaskets a bit and sit flush.

http://www.PiSpeakers.com/DIY/BigmouthinDC/BigmouthinDC_4Pi_HomeTheater_06_TestFit.jpg

I will probably cut a little more out of the woofer recess.

Couple of questions. I'm planning on rounding over the cabinet edges but what about that port opening? can I take a little off?

On mounting the woofer I've used putty caulk in the past to seal woofers yet make them removable for service and did note that you mentioned shower liner in another thread, any other thoughts? Guess I could cut some more gaskets out of the foam rubber. I've got some 10-24 T- nuts and bolts for the mechanical attachment.

Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread [message #63639 is a reply to message #63628] Tue, 03 August 2010 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I definitely emphasize with you on the time crunch and having a hard time scheduling projects. But it looks like you're making good progress. Getting close now!

Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread [message #63640 is a reply to message #63639] Tue, 03 August 2010 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Can I round over the port opening a little bit?
Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread [message #63641 is a reply to message #63640] Tue, 03 August 2010 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sure, no problem. They're large enough port velocity is real low even at full power. But radiusing the edge won't change tuning by any appreciable amount so it can't hurt.

Previous Topic: 8 Pi Plan Request
Next Topic: Suggestions for FAQ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:21:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout