Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? (4 Pi VS 7 Pi )
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #62115 is a reply to message #61567] Tue, 16 March 2010 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Infrasonic is currently offline  Infrasonic
Chancellor
So if I weren't using the corners would there be much of an advantage to going with a front firing Pi7 over the Pi4? From what I read about the midrange on here is that there really isn't a crossover from the bass to mids and that they "blend" together to get the response. I may have just read too much material and mixed things up. I was just curious cause the speakers sure look badass with the midrange horn on there. Cool I'm sure I will be super happy with Pi4's anyway. Smile

Thanks, Wayne
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #62116 is a reply to message #62115] Tue, 16 March 2010 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Without corners there is much less advantage going with something like the seven π cornerhorn or a similar three-way speaker having the same midhorn and a front-firing woofer. The midhorn was really designed to be used in a corner, and while it doesn't lose all directivity control outside a corner, it can't maintain the horizontal below about 500Hz. It actually starts losing control around 750Hz and by 400Hz, the pattern has doubled in width, basically acting pretty much like a large flat baffle at that frequency. That's still decent control, over an octave lower than without the midhorn, and there is the matter of distributed sound sources in the upper modal region. So there are some benefits, even when used outside corners.

But it's a more complicated speaker than the four π. The simplicity of a DI-matched two-way loudspeaker is pretty attractive, having its own set of merits. For the difference in cost, you can get some subs and I would prefer four π's with subs to seven π's without. Of course, the cat's meow is seven π's with multisubs but that requires a very specific room layout, having relatively unobstructed corners and distance between them that allows their forward axes to cross in front of the listening position. That's the only problem with the cornerhorns - you need a specific room layout to use them, and not every room has that.

Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #62118 is a reply to message #61567] Wed, 17 March 2010 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Infrasonic is currently offline  Infrasonic
Chancellor
Ah, that's just what I needed to hear. I wasn't sure if the enhanced directivity of your midrange kit would be of extra benefit in my situation. For now, I won't worry about the extra steps required for a modified Pi7 if I don't need it per your recommendation. I really like the Pi4's so I know I will enjoy them in my theater room.

Right now I have two large, low tuned subwoofers each with an eightteen inch subwoofer. It is a very capable system, I must say. I do have two more eightteens on hand though and I will convert to a quad sealed set up in the near future. I first want to see how the vented subs work with you Pi4's once I build them before I go all sealed.

Thanks so much for the info and sorry if I cluttered this thread. Razz
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #63076 is a reply to message #61567] Sun, 06 June 2010 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Psychoacoustic is currently offline  Psychoacoustic
Viscount
Well, FINALLY got the Pi 7 bass cabs built. Have been using JBL 4507 cabs since December last year- quite satisfactorily, I must say. Not knowing too much about acoustics, I was somewhat anxious that the reduction in cabinet volume would result in less extension or 'punch'. But, if both are tuned to the same frequency, then performance must be similar in that regard, right?
So, I did the experiment. Used two window braces above and below the woofer, port was simple and I was able to finish both (MDF was cut at the hardware store), in a day. Initial impression was the the bass had tightened up and was as smooth and full as with the 5 cubic feet cabs. Most notable was an improvement in midrange balance- NICE! Won't ramble on too much until I've become accustomed to the change.
In summary, I think the most accurate statement that I can make is that I share a similar taste in speaker voicing to Wayne. I also run two Pi 3 subwoofers using the adapted car subwoofer crossover suggested by Wayne on the forum. Have used a valve amp with the Pi 7 but am preferring a Yamaha pro-amp now.
A big thanks to Mr Parham!
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #63080 is a reply to message #63076] Sun, 06 June 2010 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for the update. Post pics, if you can!

Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #63089 is a reply to message #61567] Mon, 07 June 2010 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
'You want it? You got it!' (from The Kills Keep on Your Mean Side 2003.)

Crappy photo to camoflauge nasty MDF:

index.php?t=getfile&id=197&private=0
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #63090 is a reply to message #63089] Mon, 07 June 2010 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Nice, looks great! Gonna veneer or paint?

Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #63091 is a reply to message #61567] Mon, 07 June 2010 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks for the great design!
Not sure about the finish yet. Had an idea to paint white then transfer a picture of an album cover on the front- something like one of these on each:

index.php?t=getfile&id=198&private=0

BTW- has anyone got a beat-up or in any used condition, single 2226H to sell by any chance?
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #63098 is a reply to message #63091] Tue, 08 June 2010 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, wow, what a trip! That would be a cool looking set of speakers!

About woofers, I only stock new 2226 drivers. But I'll bet you can find some baskets on eBay and recone them.

You probably already know this, but just in case, don't buy third-party recone kits. Get the factory replacement parts. They sound much better. I've had luck with aftermarket pole piece covers, but don't like third-party cones.

Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #78467 is a reply to message #62116] Wed, 27 November 2013 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 16 March 2010 21:15

Without corners there is much less advantage going with something like the seven π cornerhorn or a similar three-way speaker having the same midhorn and a front-firing woofer. The midhorn was really designed to be used in a corner, and while it doesn't lose all directivity control outside a corner, it can't maintain the horizontal below about 500Hz. It actually starts losing control around 750Hz and by 400Hz, the pattern has doubled in width, basically acting pretty much like a large flat baffle at that frequency. That's still decent control, over an octave lower than without the midhorn, and there is the matter of distributed sound sources in the upper modal region. So there are some benefits, even when used outside corners.

But it's a more complicated speaker than the four π. The simplicity of a DI-matched two-way loudspeaker is pretty attractive, having its own set of merits. For the difference in cost, you can get some subs and I would prefer four π's with subs to seven π's without. Of course, the cat's meow is seven π's with multisubs but that requires a very specific room layout, having relatively unobstructed corners and distance between them that allows their forward axes to cross in front of the listening position. That's the only problem with the cornerhorns - you need a specific room layout to use them, and not every room has that.

Adding on to this older thread so that the Pi journey is documented.
Wayne, would you mind explaining a little more about how to compliment/augment 7Pi with 2X 3Pi subs as in the quote above? For example, (obviously) the subs cannot be placed behind the 7Pi as they could the 4Pi. And you have written that the 7Pi mid-woofer is fine on its own due the nature of its corner bass reinforcement, so that means that the two subs act as flanking subs that help smooth the overall room acoustics? Basically correct? Specifically, I wish to fill in the lower-end of bass response that the JBL mid-woofer doesn't cover. More rumble and bass-slam from subs in a remote, flanking context possible? I've tried many configurations but would appreciate your thoughts, please.
Previous Topic: Three Pi sub
Next Topic: 4Pi Plans please.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 21:05:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout